Walk a newbie through fiberglassing...

Thanks everyone for the responses!

I figured out that if the resin turns green - it's too cold. But what does that mean for the final product and the cure time?

I figured out that if the resin turns green - it's too cold. But what does that mean for the final product and the cure time?

Slow cure isn't a bad thing, it just means you cant do anything with the project until it does.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Slow cure isn't a bad thing, it just means you cant do anything with the project until it does.

The color just means it's slow? Nothing bad or anything?

I'm not sure what resin and what catalyst you're using. Is the hardener you're using colored? I know I use a slow hardener since its so hot here in AZ. I don't like it to set up since I'm pretty abal about the placement of my chop mat. If your catalyst is colored, then it would make sense that it's changing the color of your resin. What brand of stuff are you using?

I'm not sure what resin and what catalyst you're using. Is the hardener you're using colored? I know I use a slow hardener since its so hot here in AZ. I don't like it to set up since I'm pretty abal about the placement of my chop mat. If your catalyst is colored, then it would make sense that it's changing the color of your resin. What brand of stuff are you using?

It's 3m fiberglass resin and the tube of MEKP hardener that came with it. The resin is the color of honey and the hardener is like water

It's 3m fiberglass resin and the tube of MEKP hardener that came with it. The resin is the color of honey and the hardener is like water

I figured it was 3M brand. I never use the stuff as it's thicker than I like resin to be. Has you stuff that you've done yet given any signs that it's setting up?

CleanSierra: It set right up and hardened about an hour after I put a lamp on it.

Merzbow: That's REALLY good to know. Thanks. Am I OK since when I did my test batch: I didn't use any of those things - but I did it under a ventilated hood and didn't get anything on me?

CleanSierra: It set right up and hardened about an hour after I put a lamp on it.

Merzbow: That's REALLY good to know. Thanks. Am I OK since when I did my test batch: I didn't use any of those things - but I did it under a ventilated hood and didn't get anything on me?

Well if you didn't get anything on you then you're obviously OK now but in the future when you're staring at a syringe and a cup full of MEKP 3 inches away from your eyes trying to get the level correct, please put on a pair of 10$ eye protectors. :) If your ventilation is REALLY good, you can get away without a respirator for SHORT periods of time, but it will catch up with you (resin headaches). Also, a lot of MEKP spilled on skin could cause liver and kidney damage as well as burns, so wear long-sleeve shirts, pants, and gloves.

Good to know. Thanks!!

don't focus on the color, since different companies have different colors. Also, work on not mixing too hot. if you do, not only will it dry too fast, but it will become brittle. Use heavier duty containers too; not dixie cups. Id also choose between chop mat or cloth...no real reason why, but they have somewhat different characteristics (like chop mat is strands, while cloth is woven) Ive put projects under UV heat lamps and they seem to help speed up the process when its cold out.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Archived