Second Skin Audio

Square subwoofers

But a sub that's clipping doesn't make a round wave.. So if you go with a zigzag port and clip the hell outta your subs the shit is gonna pound and sound good! :lol:

LMFAO.... I guess I better have the ports redesigned on the box im building this weekend.

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

But a sub that's clipping doesn't make a round wave.. So if you go with a zigzag port and clip the hell outta your subs the shit is gonna pound and sound good! :lol:

LMFAO.... I guess I better have the ports redesigned on the box im building this weekend.

LOL! my bad dude i forgot all about this!

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

well a sound wave doesn't come off the cone from the sides it comes off straight off like imagined this >{ is out sub woofer (cone facing left) the sound wave will come off like this {))))) in a half circle and spreads in the same shape it doesn't matter how the woofer is shaped so basically they get louder cuz of more cone are but they have worse sound quality

louder?... I don't buy that.

Why?

In theory, 2 indentical set ups, with the same power, only difference one being a 12" square sub, the other being a 12" round sub, the square set up, on paper should be louder... more cone area. And how times has the mantra of " cone area is king" been proven on this site alone? a million?

Yes, the key word is "should" but with both drivers being in their optimal enclosure and all else being equal, I still believe they're no viable difference in output. I'm not saying that you're wrong. Yes in theory, one can assume that more cone area will yield a higher output. But without the actual real world testing (facts), I'm not buying it.... Just me.

My Build Log- T E A M S U N D O W N A U D I O -

2013 DbDrag WF SS1-2 - 5th Place 154.6db

2013 MECA Mod3 CA State Final Champ 153.4db

Powered by: Sundown Audio

A clipped woofer still makes a normal shaped soundwave if I'm not mistaken, it just recieves a squared input signal that heats up the coils. But sound is sound

so far...

HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B

Amp- crescendo BC2000D

Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead

Electric- Big 3 ^same wire

Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's

Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs

In all seriousness, OP we're kidding about the square ports for square subs. kind of an inside joke on this forum.

but like Bigsix said, hypothetically, if we could isolate the cone area variable and give each woofer identical specs etc etc, the square woofer would probably be louder, because it has more cone area.

that being said, there's probably a reason that not a lot of square woofers are made.

based on my experience, square woofers don't sound nearly as good as round ones. i'm sure there's reason behind this, but i'm not talk out my ass haha.

this is not to say that square woofers CAN'T sound good, because i'm sure if you put them in the right application they would sound decent. this is also not to say that round woofers don't get as loud, because they definitely do.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

louder?... I don't buy that.

Why?

In theory, 2 indentical set ups, with the same power, only difference one being a 12" square sub, the other being a 12" round sub, the square set up, on paper should be louder... more cone area. And how times has the mantra of " cone area is king" been proven on this site alone? a million?

Yes, the key word is "should" but with both drivers being in their optimal enclosure and all else being equal, I still believe they're no viable difference in output. I'm not saying that you're wrong. Yes in theory, one can assume that more cone area will yield a higher output. But without the actual real world testing (facts), I'm not buying it.... Just me.

there might be SOME difference. but in most applications it's probably negligible. keep in mind the larger the cone of a woofer is, the less efficient it is (compared to an identical, but smaller cone) simply due to the fact that it has to move more air. so basically it's got more mass to move.

this is what i remember from my readings at least.

More box builds

I'm with captain stupid.

Sounds like a question for Dr. subwoofer. Remember folks, two 12's are equivalent to a 24" subwoofer.....

:peepwall:

My name is AdamThis is my Civic Build.7" Samsung Tab 2Kenwood KDC-X896Clarion EQS746Sundown X-15DC 3.5k @2ohmHatersGonnaHate's 02 Civic UBLELD Bypass for Honda Civic/Accord/FitDon's Jeep Grand Cherokee Rebuild

N8ball2013 - i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

srp365 - If posting were picking up bitches, I'd be going home single tonight

looks like tony montana sneezed in your car.

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg