Second Skin Audio

fiberglass question inside box

I glassed the seams inside the box

Fb resin> mat> Fb resin

I sanded down the rough parts.

Should I add another layer of resin with the mat.?

Or should I be good with one layer?

Edited by BFF Larry

Team Clearly Louder (MECA)Team DC Audio

++* SELLING the CACTUS SOUNDS K12 for $1550 shipped *++

HMU!!!

3 flips. nollie flips. big flips. hardflips. - steez

Youtube Channel My Build Log

95 Bonneville SSE

- WALLED/4th Order - ~30 cubes -

*thanks LoganBerry, CortezDVT, Cj18, SuperCharged DC, Ryan-RAM Designs,LoudNLow931*

I glassed the seams inside the box

Fb resin> mat> Fb resin

I sanded down the rough parts.

Should I add another layer of resin with the mat.?

Or should I be good with one layer?

never can have too much

468x60drc.jpg

I would do a couple layers if you already have material.

145.9@40hz

145.3@34hz

big 3

X2 group 34

Deka Group 31

All 0/1 awg jl meta wire

Alpine CDA 7894

Orion HCCA D5000

2 AQ HDC312's

Crunch gpv1100.2 (for 6.5"s only)

AQ pro audio 6.5" - 3 sets

AQ supertweeters - 2 sets

2000 Slamry

of resin? no. the resin wont do anything for you. if you mean another layer of mat and resin, sure. but you really dont need any at all if you built your box decently.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

of resin? no. the resin wont do anything for you. if you mean another layer of mat and resin, sure. but you really dont need any at all if you built your box decently.

I tried my best to line everything together but a wall isn't as easy as it seemed at first haha.

Way different from a box in the trunk to me.

It's pretty airtight and sturdy but for the added confidence. I did Fb resin > mat > Fb resin every corner and seam.

But from what everyone is saying, I should add another layer...

I know or from what I heard a layer of fiberglass subtracts 0.15 cu.ft. from volume

But should I pit down just Fb resin on top of what's in the seams? Or Fb resin and lay down another mat...

Oh and I almost forgot.

Thank you everybody for replying back.

Any input is appreciated!

HMU!!!

95 Bonneville SSE

*thanks LoganBerry, CortezDVT, Cj18, SuperCharged DC, Ryan-RAM Designs,LoudNLow931*

oh i didnt know its a wall. ya those would be hard to get perfect seams depending on how you build it. one layer in the edges of a box takes up .15 cubes? umm... i dont think so. think about a 2" x 24" dowel. lets say thats close to the same size as a bag of fiberglass. thats .043 cubes.

again, adding resin only wont do anything for you except maybe fill some air holes. but silicone would work better for that since it wont run out of the holes. so if you do another layer, paint some resin on so the fiberglass sticks. then apply resin while its still wet. if you used bondo brand resin its important to sand the first layer because their resin has wax and the next layer will need help to bond.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Ah thank you skittles for helping me.

I know I'm wrong about the Fb taking up tht much volume. Maybe it 0.015 ... I know someone from here pointed tht out.... dang I can't remember.

But Tomoro ill slop some resin on the cured mats.

And I was going to use silicone and then fiberglass over top. But I googled tht and some people said silicone might act up when in contact with resin... Idk really....

Well I know you, skittles, is far more experienced and knowledgeable than me, what's your take on the next steps.

I can't silicone now since I layer it all out. Ha

Edited by BFF Larry

HMU!!!

95 Bonneville SSE

The necessity to apply a bunch of glass and mat really boils down to the setup. But here's a few points to think about since you're worried about affecting stuff.

• Adding a layer of resin to a sheet of MDF will seal the porous surface. Covering the interior of the box will seal the seams as well.
  • Mat adds a significant amount of strength. If you used wood glue, then covered it in resin, and you're not running a wild system, then you will be fine with what you've done.
  • Do not worry about the volume displacement of mat/resin. It's negligible.
  • If your seams have visible or questionable gaps, then throw 2-5 layers on it. Whatever you end up being comfortable with.
  • You will get what you pay for with mat/resin.
  • The more you work with it, the better feel you will have to know the when/what/how.

Edited by Neo_frog

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

The necessity to apply a bunch of glass and mat really boils down to the setup. But here's a few points to think about since you're worried about affecting stuff.

• Adding a layer of resin to a sheet of MDF will seal the porous surface. Covering the interior of the box will seal the seams as well.
  • Mat adds a significant amount of strength. If you used wood glue, then covered it in resin, and you're not running a wild system, then you will be fine with what you've done.
  • Do not worry about the volume displacement of mat/resin. It's negligible.
  • If your seams have visible or questionable gaps, then throw 2-5 layers on it. Whatever you end up being comfortable with.
  • You will get what you pay for with mat/resin.
  • The more you work with it, the better feel you will have to know the when/what/how.

This X 10

Also, check out my box build. I used 3 coats of resin inside the box, then I sanded it all baby butt smooth. May have helped, mat not. But I believe it did. :drinks:

Also, DON"T use bondo brand resin!!! Go to Lows or Home Depot and get some bettter stuff for the same price or cheaper. The biggest difference I noticed was the bondo took two days to fully cure. The good stuff(3M from Lows) took two hours.

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build