Help with plexi and LEDs

Can someone give a good idea on how to use LEDs to light up a plexi glass panel on a new box? Pics would be great.

When i first started building my own boxes and buddies boxes i used circular and jig saws. Now that ive gotten my table saw and routers and nicer tools im wanting to step up into more fab work. Im building a box for a friend with 2 sundown sa-8s under the back seats of his chevy truck. I want to use a plexi panel on the out facing side of the box lit up with green LEDs and have really no idea on how to get them inside or to wire them. Please help fellas, thanks

Everythings in the attic or garage since the truck was sold last year. New build should be coming soon in a dodge cummins smile.gif

Can someone give a good idea on how to use LEDs to light up a plexi glass panel on a new box? Pics would be great.

When i first started building my own boxes and buddies boxes i used circular and jig saws. Now that ive gotten my table saw and routers and nicer tools im wanting to step up into more fab work. Im building a box for a friend with 2 sundown sa-8s under the back seats of his chevy truck. I want to use a plexi panel on the out facing side of the box lit up with green LEDs and have really no idea on how to get them inside or to wire them. Please help fellas, thanks

SubBox3.jpg

A box i am planning on build shortly. As you may be able to see there is two openings where i will be using lexan glass. I will have the leaxn fiberglass 1/2" thick and put a paneling around it so i could attach it to the box without drilling into the glass. you could drill the outside edges of the glass with a #150 bit just deep enough for you led light. Using in and out motions while drilling so you don't melt the plexi test fit the leds to see if they fit, if using 5mm led's, clean it out and put clear nail polish in each hole. Put in all the led's and start wiring them. That should light up the whole plexi if you go all the way around. I don't know what you would want but that is an idea. I personally aint goin to do that cuz i want the leds inside the box.

• 3 weeks later...

Look on ebay you can usually get pretty good deals. I always use this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190573252592?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

-Mark

Host of "CarAudioFabrication" - YouTube Car Audio Tutorial Channel

Forum.png

Check out my forum section here on SMD for my builds and tutorial videos!

Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/CarAudioFabrication

try to stay away from ebay LEDs, mainly the ones from china.. yes they look like a good deal but are GARBAGE, if they get cold they lose their flexibility, and if you try to flex them they can snap, and sometimes LEDs in the strips can burn out

i only use oznium LEDs, i had a local who wanted cheap LEDs so i bought the ebay ones for him, didnt last more than 6 months

if you DO go with ebay LEDs, try to get the type listed above and not the silicone strips, those are the ones that will snap, but the ribbon strips will hold their flexibilty a very long time, but ive never used that type of LED strip

Edited by BeAlLsTaR13

Team Sundown Audio

**CURRENT** -- 2012 Scion tC Build Click Here

**OLD** -- 2002 Pontiac Grand AM Build Click Here
check them out, slap me a comment

2002 Pontiac Grand AM SE 2.2l 4 cylinder ecotec.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Head Unit - Alpine CDA-9887
Subs - 2x Z 12 v.2s - v.3 + NS Soft parts
Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAZ-3500D
Enclosure - 3.33 Cubes tuned to 34.66hz
Front Stage - JBL P660c 6.5" Components
Rear Deck - Powerbass 4xl 6.5" Mid-Range
Front Stage Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAX-100.4D
Wires - Kicker Hyperflex 1/0, KnuKonceptz 1/0, Knu 4 and 8 Gauge, Kicker RCAs
Electrical - 275 AMP DC Power H/O Alternator, XS Power S3400, XS Power D2700
Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BeAILsTaR13
-------------------------------------------------------------------

hmm... how long is that roll? and i know my dad helped me do this. we used a relay and ran power for the leds with a fuse and then connected the remote wire to the positive of the amp, but that was a lower powered amp.. so it would go to the beat. not 100% but im pretty sure thats how we did it. but you could connect it to a switch or just splice into the remote wire from the HU.

oh and the leds we used had built in resistors so that full current wouldnt destroy them. i really dont know much about that kind of electrical so maybe someone else can chime in...

I'd like to no where I can get the 1inch thick plexi

i have half a sheet.

I Rock 4 Doors 4 More Whores!

SMD SUPER SELLER

my seller feedback http://www.stevemead...-mama-feedback/

more seller feedback http://www.stevemead...-slaps-yo-mama/

first off, use lexan for a sub box, it's much stronger than plexi.

second, if you want to light up just the acrylic, put the LED's on the outside edges of the plexi.

third, the only way i know to wire them is to run positive to the remote terminal on the amp, then negative to the ground.

i suppose you could do this with any switched 12v source and a grounding point.

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.