Second Skin Audio

Smells?

Hey,

I have just finished the big 3. Helps alot sitll a little diming tho. But anyway I have The mtx 12 9500 and the MTX 81001 amp ran a 2 ohm and the gain 3/4 turned up. Well after about 5-10 mins of bumping i can smell a smell. I cant really expain it. It is not like burned toast but it smell like somting burnt or somthing along that like. Sorry for the little info it is difficult to explain. Any thing will help. THANKS

I Like It LOWWWW

how exactly did u look at the voice coils?

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

the voice coil is inside the magnet, im not sure on the mtx but on my cadence sub there is an opening and if you where to "raise", for lack of a better word, the cone and see part of the voice coil. still it would be really hard to see anything. if you dont know what a burnt voice coil smells like go and find an old speakers and blow it up. take a good wiff and there you have voice coil burnage! if you can get it to start on fire or spark it looks really cool lol.

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

6 soon to be 12 12" hifonics hfi12d4's

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

Well it doesnt smell like the mtx 4500 i just blew up... But I was cleaning the garage and I seen the box that it was shipped in. So i was getting some tools out of it when i got a wiff of that smell. I smelled the box and it smells the same as the sub... I checked the voice coils (well as i can see) The sub sill hits hard. It's only on the deep bass like "hypotized" when it really smells.

I am just going to take it to the audio shop :mad: :mad:

Edited by sexyspeer

I Like It LOWWWW

if it only smells on the songs like that then you are burning the voice coil... depending on how u blew up the old one they may not smell the same. example i blew a XXX on a wall socket and it smelled completely different then when i heated up the coils on the MT and XXX

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer