Sonic Electronix

'97 Explorer Sub Installation Help

So, I was talking to a friend and asked him how he would wire the amp to the battery. He said that there should already be power cables that I should splice the amp power into. He also said that if I ran the amp power directly through the firewall and into the engine compartment, where the battery is, the wiring would burn. Is any of this true?

Thanks.

never listen to him again

a separate power wire for the amp is a must

splicing should only be used as a last resort IMO especially on a power wire

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

actually i would NEVER splice into anything for a power wire for an amp. not big enough, and just better to have it's own power. i drilled through my own firewall and ran like 8 wires through it. not one fire. no reason for there to ever be a fire.

so yeah...dont listen to him again :huh:

hook it straight up to the battery. if you need i can take pics of mine and show you how i ran it and how it's all done

Edited by ExpoSport

Hansen take a look in the build section or click the link in my sig and you will see how I hooked my power wire up to my battery. The OLD amps some used to have a wire hard wired into the amps but they dont do that any more all amos have a connection for the power wire, ground wire and remote wire.

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

just check and double check where you're gonna drill. just to make sure it's empty space on the other side. and also you wont need any kind of connector to go into the amp. it'll just take the bare wire. but for the battery, you'll need some type of connector. depends on the battery

So, I bought the subs and amp and all that jazz tonight. As I was looking at the diagram for my head unit, I saw that there is this cable call Subwoofer Output. It looks like a white RCA cable. There is no red mate to it or anything. On the actual amp, there are red/white RCAs labeled input and red/white RCAs labled output. What do I plug into the "Subwoofer Output" cable? My understanding of what it does is that it controls the level and such of the subs from the head unit. Thanks an asston, y'all.

you can get a single to double rca Y adapter from the shops to hook your sub output to and then you hook your rca's to the adapter then to the inputs on the amp.

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg