Second Skin Audio

Fi btl n2 or sp4 ? Whats the diference?

guimond47

Hey guys what the difference between the two? Is the btl sp4 better because it has an extra 500 watts rms or? Ill be buying an fi sub today but i wanna know out of all their models whats the better one thanks ill be running roughly 2200watt rms at one sub soo let me know thanks

Orion 2500D , 2-10" alpine type X. Custom enclosure,
Alpine amp for mids and highs.
Working on a center channel ATM

Hey guys what the difference between the two? Is the btl sp4 better because it has an extra 500 watts rms or? Ill be buying an fi sub today but i wanna know out of all their models whats the better one thanks ill be running roughly 2200watt rms at one sub soo let me know thanks

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/52795-sp4-vs-n2/

SP4 Heavier

SP4 More mounting depth

SP4 4" coil vs 3" on N2

SP4 10" spider and higher mechanical linearity than N2

SP4 More long term thermal stability

SP4 Sealed capable vs N2 ported only

N2 More motor force

N2 Inductance ring that balances the inductance swing better

SP4 Slightly lower overall inductance than N2

N2 Well... its cool because its Neo

N2 It's expensive because its Neo (and constantly increasing in cost)

SP4 Slightly higher Xmax (coil limited)

SP4 Lower FS for those that think it matters

In general we created the N2 as the replacement for the older generation BTLs. We have seen the direction people are going with the BTLs and arranged the N2 specs to be closer to intended applications (huge, deep hitting, daily setups). Then creating the N3 to fill the void for the high motor force applications like extreme SPL or simply those that like that "sound".

The SP4 pushes things a little further in the daily driver direction. While the N2s have proven to work well in 4th orders, they simply don't in sealed. The SP4 does just that, and a little better than the N2 in 4ths. It still works great in ported, with the ability to have a heavier peak down low as well.

In testing it is a very solid sub that can take quite a bit of abuse. While not needed (none of the original test drivers we built had it) we do have the option for spaced spiders (2 on the top and 3 on the bottom) with a 1" ring between. In this configuration we have hand sewn on leads in between the spiders. In its standard configuration with 5 spiders and the gapped cone, it is a very stable platform (not a triple jointed sub. The cone is spaced about 1.125" from the top of the spiders. This stabilizes the coil better than the standard triple joint and is what we are doing on the standard versions of the SSD, Q, and BL drivers now).

So which is better? I dont know...lol If you need every bit of weight savings you can find, then the N2. If you are tech oriented and have to have innovation, then the N2. If you need an even more abuse tolerant speaker then the SP4 is for you. If you want big, SP4. Sealed, SP4. Even more thermal stability, SP4. They each have their merits. Choosing the "better" driver is up to your application.

I think the SP4 is in keeping with the times and applications people are heading towards. High excursion, stability, and thermal power handling... albeit at a cost of weight and depth over the N2 series.

My Build Log

95 Honda Accord

Nook HD+ tablet

Team Ascendant Audio 18"

2 Skar Audio SK-2500.1D

Crescendo Audio C1100.4

2006 Civic, Fi SP4 12", bc3500

Build log

with the amt of power you have go with the n2....

Team Devastation Mixed Martial ArtsMachado Brazilian JiujitsuOnce I lock it on there's no escape I don't train to make you tap, I train to tear your arm, leg, or head off. Its your job to tap before I can do that -Pain is only weakness leaving the body, its kill or be killed and only the strong survive...Rockford FosgateDigital DesignsFi Car AudioCrossfire Car Audio

To me ur saying go with sp4 because its better sounding . But now in the feature do i need to get the spider spacing for the sp4 or it isent nessesary?

Just buy both and see what happens. Either way I don't think you can go wrong with either.

SONY XAV-701HD
RF power 400.4 RF power 1000bd

3 Sundown x8's d2
2004 f150 single cab
2 sets of components MB quart 6.5 onx (2 tweets 2 6.5 perdoor)
stock batt up fron
BIG 3

http://www.stevemead...-vid-pg-11-922/

http://www.youtube.c.../TheBigmescan74

The hifonic brz 2400.1D but ill be getting another one of those later.. And strapp them to get 4800rms ish before volt drop

Yea ? What featers should i get on the n2 then ?

Archived