Second Skin Audio

obsidian 18

bass_stalker

We then burped it and managed a 146.5 dB at 34 Hz. The sub is being powered by a Sundown Audio 3500D at 1 Ohm in 5.5 ft^3 tuned to 30 Hz.

Loud and low :) I'm liking the 5.5ft! I'm gunna pay attention for a couple weeks for you to mention your favorite enclosure and then I will be making a box for two =D hehe two 18's below the windowline sounds nice :)

so far...

HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B

Amp- crescendo BC2000D

Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead

Electric- Big 3 ^same wire

Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's

Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs

I noticed before and after testing that the sub stage sounded kind of reserved so I checked the level of the subwoofer output on my HU while driving home and noticed that it was only at +3 out of a possible +15. :) However, in previous testing we did find out that optimal SPL is not achieved at +15, but between +5 and +7 while having the 3500D hooked up. Oh well. It was still plenty loud enough for me.

Listening to the 18" is better than I expected. I anticipated the increased bottom end to drown out the upper range of the woofer but it didn't. It plays smoothly all the way up to ~100 Hz. The most impressive thing is how it plays, not just what it plays. What I mean by that is the extra bottom end this woofer has really solidifies the notes and makes everything seem louder and more authoritative. The woofer is a beast so far and I thoroughly enjoy listening to it.

I'm probably going to build a plate to seal off the port and listen to it sealed this upcoming week so stay tuned!

Electrodynamic

Power handling is not a power requirement! Don't install suckage!

Simon Eichenberger is the man.

My PM's are disabled.

Here are my observations on this "CHINER" sub..

First of all it doesnt even have atleast a 3" coil. Secondly the suspension is sub par at best. 3rdly and most important, there is only a 58$ difference between this and an SSD from Fi, which is USA made, MUCH MUCH MUCH better suspension, and uses a 3" coil!! More power handling, and is a MUCH better overall driver hands down. So my question is this: Why would someone buy this 18 over an SSD of which is QUALITY :werd_msword:

So after this So called "pre-sale" Here is the SSD 18 that is like 58$ more, for a MUCH better driver

fi.png

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

We then burped it and managed a 146.5 dB at 34 Hz. The sub is being powered by a Sundown Audio 3500D at 1 Ohm in 5.5 ft^3 tuned to 30 Hz.

Heres my honest opinions.

1. thats a heavy ass cone for the motor similar to my usual argument about other lower line subs being sold in larger sizes you wind up with a sub that doesnt have the ass to really move it.

2. It is an interesting piece and is in a lower price bracket than pretty much any other 18 in the car audio market that i can think of.

3. given only what i know about the test above which aint much but given that little bit of info im really not impressed once again it seems you have a set up that would be better as a smaller sized sub aka 15 and below an 18 just seems to be too big for the motor unless you can cut the weight of the moving mass.

Here are my observations on this "CHINER" sub..

First of all it doesnt even have atleast a 3" coil. Secondly the suspension is sub par at best. 3rdly and most important, there is only a 58$ difference between this and an SSD from Fi, which is USA made, MUCH MUCH MUCH better suspension, and uses a 3" coil!! More power handling, and is a MUCH better overall driver hands down. So my question is this: Why would someone buy this 18 over an SSD of which is QUALITY :werd_msword:

So after this So called "pre-sale" Here is the SSD 18 that is like 58$ more, for a MUCH better driver

fi.png

while i do agree here i still must be honest and $58 price difference isnt much when looking at a single sub but it does make a big difference when buying any real quantity of sub but looking above to what i already said i dont believe this is a very smart move givin what we have been shown in their testing somebody may prove me wrong though

Here are my observations on this "CHINER" sub.

First of all it doesnt even have atleast a 3" coil. Secondly the suspension is sub par at best. 3rdly and most important, there is only a 58$ difference between this and an SSD from Fi, which is USA made, MUCH MUCH MUCH better suspension, and uses a 3" coil!! More power handling, and is a MUCH better overall driver hands down. So my question is this: Why would someone buy this 18 over an SSD of which is QUALITY :

So addressing your "concerns" about the 18" driver by number:

1) What (if any) imperical evidence do you have to back up your condescending notion of a 2.5" voice coil 18" subwoofer being inferior to a 3" driver of equal size? Power handling, "cone control", etc? Please elaborate with facts instead of ill-brewed erroneous thoughts.

2) Since you obviously have extensive data and personal experience with our suspension in order to claim that it has a suspension that is "sub par at best" I would like to see you back up your statement. I have full Klippel Cms/Kms data that I am more than willing to share if you want to compare the suspension curves / quality of the suspensions.

3) It's actually a $65 difference ($254-$189=$65), which leaves the Obsidian driver over 25% less than the SSD. On pre pre-order at $148 the Obsidian is over $100 less than the SSD.

If you are insinuating that the Obsidian 18" woofer has sub-par performance in any area or aspect compared to another driver please supply actual data instead of wrong pre-conceived comfort wishes.

Electrodynamic

Power handling is not a power requirement! Don't install suckage!

Simon Eichenberger is the man.

My PM's are disabled.

Archived