Start of building my own computer

Last weekend I made the decision to build my own computer. So I put in an order for the first part which was the motherboard. I got a Biostar N68S3+. Now I know it wont be as fast as some of the other built comps on here, but that's ok. I have not made a decision yet on the processor. I will be using this computer for gaming and multi-media applications. I decided to go with AMD for this build. The maximum memory this motherboard can support is 8 gigs, so I will be getting two 4 gig memory. I will be running separate video and sound cards on this also. This the first time I've ever done something like this, so I welcome any critisim you have for me. To help keep cost down I am using an old computer that I gutted. Ok, on to the pics...

100_0996.jpg

100_0994.jpg

100_0995.jpg

100_0998.jpg

100_0999.jpg

100_1000.jpg

100_1001.jpg

OMG! I have the same POS Please Don't Hit Me sticker... it's on the garage fridge though. lol

I went AMD with my last build too, not the least bit disappointed. :drinks:

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

OMG! I have the same POS Please Don't Hit Me sticker... it's on the garage fridge though. lol

I went AMD with my last build too, not the least bit disappointed. :drinks:

I'm thinking bout pulling the front panel off and grabbing the top and side panels that are sitting some place and hitting them with some paint. Who says a computer has to look ugly? lol. I have a laptop that runs AMD and it seems to work better than my last laptop that had an INTEL chip in it.

All I have to say, Be care for ESD( Electro static discharge). Ground yourself when you touch anything or else you can fry errrrvrything and your out of a computer.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Looks like a good start! What socket type is that mobo?

If you go through with painting it, make sure you sand everything smooth first. The small peaks and valleys that are on most pc cases make paint look like crap, but this can be easily avoided with some elbow grease, sand paper, and a coat of primer.

Just because its low budget doesn't mean it can't be a good build, just gonna take some extra work.

If you need any help or advice feel free to pm me.

All I have to say, Be care for ESD( Electro static discharge). Ground yourself when you touch anything or else you can fry errrrvrything and your out of a computer.

Unless its plugged in or super old I wouldn't worry too much about it. My networking class was on highly static carpet and I built many computers without being grounded without issues. I was also a computer technician at staples and the carpet there was super staticy in winter. I worked on hundreds of pc's without being grounded, and only one shut off during the time I worked there, and that one was a packard bell running windows 95.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

If you go through with painting it, make sure you sand everything smooth first. The small peaks and valleys that are on most pc cases make paint look like crap, but this can be easily avoided with some elbow grease, sand paper, and a coat of primer.

Just because its low budget doesn't mean it can't be a good build, just gonna take some extra work.

Unless its plugged in or super old I wouldn't worry too much about it. My networking class was on highly static carpet and I built many computers without being grounded without issues. I was also a computer technician at staples and the carpet there was super staticy in winter. I worked on hundreds of pc's without being grounded, and only one shut off during the time I worked there, and that one was a packard bell running windows 95.

The socket on this mobo is a AM3. Thanks for the tip on the painting part. Right now I'm debating weather or not I want to get a small SSD for boot up or not. What benifits does that give me as opposed to just using a single HDD?

If you're going SSD, get one big enough that you can fit not only windows but your programs as well. Eighty+ gigabytes is the smallest I'd grab personally. The "SSD for boot drive" is completely overrated unless you also have room for your installed programs. If it's just for a boot drive you'll see next to no boost in speed while the computer is actually running. You programs are what need the speed of the SDD, not just Windows.

EDIT: The admins seriously need to fix the "eighty" emoticon where "80" triggers a blank image.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

you can shock equipment without feeling or hearing it yourself. and damage doesn't necessarily have to happen right away. it can cause long term failure. i personally take the 3 seconds to ground myself rather than risk my equipment. but in the same respect, just because something IS shocked, doesn't mean it'll be damaged. still not a good sign tho haha

Archived