how do you wire a second alternator to your electrical system?

Dude, that doesn't make sense, you want 2 alts to run your electrical in your vehicle? Instead of one for your vehicle, safe and sound, and one solely for you system without putting strain on the rest of vehicle components? I must be missing something?

both alts will keep the system up and running

and both alts will provide power to the components of the vehicle..

it wont hurt anything....

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude, that doesn't make sense, you want 2 alts to run your electrical in your vehicle? Instead of one for your vehicle, safe and sound, and one solely for you system without putting strain on the rest of vehicle components? I must be missing something?

both alts will keep the system up and running

and both alts will provide power to the components of the vehicle..

it wont hurt anything....

This.^^^^

Most people run their alts separately because they run 16/18v systems

My Channel on YouTube. Check it out for cinematic-style Car Audio videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcSMhtT-rpopJbdybubDgnQ

New 2014 Scion TC 4th Wall Build

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/217173-2014-tc-4th-order-build-3-fi-sp4-15s/

Completely depends on the car/alt/year. Can't elaborate anymore until you say what you have.

There is absolutely no reason to run 2 systems unless you are running higher voltage as others have pointed out.

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

I think what he wants is to add a second alt, just to keep his voltage from dropping to low...

i dont think he wants to run 16v or higher

i dont think he wants both alts to JUST run the cars electrical

I think he wants both alts to keep the vehicle charged, AND work with the stereo system to keep it in top performing condition..

LOL

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

Not mad or to sound butthurt, but for the life of me I can't understand why this always becomes the thread. EVERY online research I have looked into the thread turns into "Just run 2 different electrical systems".

That isn't what was asked or what is wanted.

I (for one) don't want to HAVE to have multiple batteries. Honestly, I would rather have too many alternators and ONE battery. Batteries go out after 4-6 years. If you treat an Alt right, they will last for 300k miles.... I only want ONE system to worry about. The Entire charging system should be big enough to run the meager demands of my vehicle AND whatever the inordinate amount of amperage my system deems that it needs.

So- back to the question:

What wires on the alternator harness are hooked to what when running 2 (or more) alternators? Can they just be hooked together in parallel?? Are all of them needed or just one?

I don't want to buy a MLA (or something similar), I don't want to buy an alternator other than a factory type (internally regulated), and I don't want to run two different systems.

I hope I was not unclear.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

I think what he wants is to add a second alt, just to keep his voltage from dropping to low...

i dont think he wants to run 16v or higher

i dont think he wants both alts to JUST run the cars electrical

I think he wants both alts to keep the vehicle charged, AND work with the stereo system to keep it in top performing condition..

LOL

you are 100% correct sir.

Not mad or to sound butthurt, but for the life of me I can't understand why this always becomes the thread. EVERY online research I have looked into the thread turns into "Just run 2 different electrical systems".

I (for one) don't want to HAVE to have multiple batteries. Honestly, I would rather have too many alternators and ONE battery. Batteries go out after 4-6 years. If you treat an Alt right, they will last for 300k miles.... I only want ONE system to worry about. The Entire charging system should be big enough to run the meager demands of my vehicle AND whatever the inordinate amount of amperage my system deems that it needs.

What wires on the alternator harness are hooked to what when running 2 (or more) alternators? Can they just be hooked together in parallel?? Are all of them needed or just one?

I don't want to buy a MLA (or something similar), I don't want to buy an alternator other than a factory type (internally regulated), and I don't want to run two different systems.

yes thank you. do i wire both harness' in parallel? that means i have to splice the second alts harness to my stock harness. someone on another forum told me that i just have to run a turn on lead from the first alt to the second one, but i dont know if thats correct. if thats all i have to do i will just snip the turn on lead on my stock harness and use a wire nut to jump the wire to the second alts harness.

yes thank you. do i wire both harness' in parallel? that means i have to splice the second alts harness to my stock harness. someone on another forum told me that i just have to run a turn on lead from the first alt to the second one, but i dont know if thats correct. if thats all i have to do i will just snip the turn on lead on my stock harness and use a wire nut to jump the wire to the second alts harness.

How is anyone supposed to tell you when no one has any idea what kind of car you have or what alt you plan on putting in? There isn't just one kind of alternator nor is there only 1 kind of ECU/PCM

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Is it okay to run an alt in reverse rotation facing the motor??? If so thats about the only way I could stuff a second alt in without yanking out a/c. I was once told that as long as both internal voltage regulators are set to within .5 volts to each other that they would be fine, but still not sure if you would run all harness wires parallel? Im tuned in as well

no you're a towell

99 Isuzu Vehicross FTW

DC 5K (would like to be 7.5K)

DC 350.4

(2X) SOLOX 18s WALL 17 CUBES

(3X) XS D3100'S REAR / (1X) D3400 FRONT

Kenwood Excelon flip-out w/rear view and navi

Singer Alt FTW

TOO LAZY TO LOG BUILD, MAYBE TOMORROW

Archived