Sonic Electronix

I wouldnt advise to use the impact gun on the alt. You can over tighten the nut and break the pulley or even worse the spindle on the alt. Id prefer to use the method i said because you can control the torque needed to take the nut off and put it back on with. Also when you put it back on there are washers and crap inside there a lot of the time and you dont want to bolt it on with the impact gun for the risk of getting the washer warped and causing the pulley to be bent out of place. Its your call but id say dont do it with your impact gun, do it like i said and have a working alt when you are done. They do have a special tool for it but a open end socket and a long torx socket is all you need to have and it will still get the job done just fine.

Il take that into account. I do need to be careful. I have never had to do this before

<<<My motor has a spring tensioner. When the tension is off (by inserting a 3/8" ratchet and pulling down) the factory size belt fits just enough to fit around the pulleys and into the grooves of the pulleys. even if a belt was an extra inch or 2 longer the tensioner would still tighten and with the same amount of tension as a regular size belt because of how the spring tension works. A smaller belt wouldnt make it all the way around the pulleys>>>

majority of new vehicles have a spring tensioner and a smaller belt will create more tension. Did you notice that the tensioner gets tighter as you move it to remove the belt, because you're compressing the spring more. A 1" shorter belt can make a huge difference.

When you release the tenioner with the belt in place how much does it move? You want a belt that barely lets it move so it has more force. I've installed plenty of HO alts on different vehicles and shorter belt is needed 99% of the time...

Really? that dosnt make sense tho, even if the belt is shorter that tensioner should still be pulling 35lbs (I think thats what there rated)

Im gonna try shimming that alt out half a rib with a fender washer first, if that dosnt fix it il try a belt, il try anything. It dosnt make sense to me tho, but I could be wrong. How much shorter of a belt should I try?

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

West Sacramento, California

Vehicle build log (1) 'Aayla' Numatik's one and only, bodydropped pasted the doors Chevy S-20 Ext-Ext cab. This project ended after a horrible horrible motorcycle accident. There are so many mods it would fill an entire page in my sig. Check it out if you have A LOT of time to kill. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/39785-numatiks-doored-s-20-bodydropped-on-doors-ext-ext-cab-10-subs-full-frame-build/?hl=%20numatik#39;s

Vehicle build log (2) 'Snow White' Daily/showstopper 2004 Chevy Silverado

Lays on 22s soon for 26s to run a beefy tire on 4s (4) 5gal tanks, (3)AZOB2 pumps, Slam digital stealth two speed valves with 16 solenoids, Slam SS bags all around, ART upper and lower arms, KP Components 6-link, KP Components watts link, Panther juice 6 22s, Spikes EVERYWHERE. 3,600WRMS total, (5) Kicker amps, (2) L7 15s under raised back seats, 15" screen molded to dash, 36 speakers total all Mb Quartz and Fosgate. Fiberglass console with removable face plates and arm rests, flushed speakers, lots of toggle switches, Playstation 2, rear view camera, Suede and leather seats, suede headliner, Dakota Digital air gauges, voltage gauges, and current draw gauges. (2) XS Power 4800 batteries, Whole truck is flat black and white and the

ENTIRE truck is fully pin striped by TJ Pagano here in Sacramento.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/123328-numatiks-bagged-2004-silverado/

smdsig1.png

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I am proof" - Numatik

On my way home from my doctors appointment my alt went out and stopped charging.... joy. I have a local shop that worked on it before. I sent it in a month ago to see if there was something causing the squeak, and he found some brushes were warn out,put a new tolerance ring around bearings, and new bearings. The truck is sitting at my house so I took the pulley off (SUPER easy to do!!) and put a fender washer spacer behind it. Measured it from the crank and its now in perfect alignment. Its worth a shot, but the smaller belt is next if this dosnt help

I talked to my alt guy and he said to only use an impact. It was super easy to pop off. He also said when putting it back on to get it as tight as possible, and I did. Im glad it went smoothly!! Now I just need to get the damn alt fixed. What a fucking day.

I had to goto the ER today, I had a sack of blood (forgot what its called) build up behind my leg I just had surgery on. I bent my leg in such a way that it made it burst, busting open the incision soaking my entire pant leg and sock, and inside of shoe in blood. I lost almost a pint it was a fucking mess. Ruined one of my favorite pairs of pants and a white towel also ruined (and now a shop rag). Between this and my alt going out its been one hell of a fucking day

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

Vehicle build log (1) 'Aayla' Numatik's one and only, bodydropped pasted the doors Chevy S-20 Ext-Ext cab. This project ended after a horrible horrible motorcycle accident. There are so many mods it would fill an entire page in my sig. Check it out if you have A LOT of time to kill. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/39785-numatiks-doored-s-20-bodydropped-on-doors-ext-ext-cab-10-subs-full-frame-build/?hl=%20numatik#39;s

Lays on 22s soon for 26s to run a beefy tire on 4s (4) 5gal tanks, (3)AZOB2 pumps, Slam digital stealth two speed valves with 16 solenoids, Slam SS bags all around, ART upper and lower arms, KP Components 6-link, KP Components watts link, Panther juice 6 22s, Spikes EVERYWHERE. 3,600WRMS total, (5) Kicker amps, (2) L7 15s under raised back seats, 15" screen molded to dash, 36 speakers total all Mb Quartz and Fosgate. Fiberglass console with removable face plates and arm rests, flushed speakers, lots of toggle switches, Playstation 2, rear view camera, Suede and leather seats, suede headliner, Dakota Digital air gauges, voltage gauges, and current draw gauges. (2) XS Power 4800 batteries, Whole truck is flat black and white and the

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/123328-numatiks-bagged-2004-silverado/

smdsig1.png

Damn bro sorry to hear that happened. The alt can be fixed though your health is more important than the alt. My alt makes a minor squeak when i spin it by hand but im not that concerned about it yet. Possibly saturday or next week i will tear off my tensioner and idler pulley and replace them. Lately when i drive the truck for about 10 minutes the squeal stops but i still want to replace both them since the idler spins like its nothing and the tensioner is totally shot with how bad that damn thing bounces when the belt is in motion.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Really? that dosnt make sense tho, even if the belt is shorter that tensioner should still be pulling 35lbs (I think thats what there rated)

Im gonna try shimming that alt out half a rib with a fender washer first, if that dosnt fix it il try a belt, il try anything. It dosnt make sense to me tho, but I could be wrong. How much shorter of a belt should I try?

No, it does make sense as a spring will create more tension as it's compressed. Do a search on the Gates or Goodyear site to see what belt sizes you can get. 1/2" - 1" shorter can make a big diff.

Normally being that far out of alignment will shred belts, surprised that hasn't happened.

Damn bro sorry to hear that happened. The alt can be fixed though your health is more important than the alt. My alt makes a minor squeak when i spin it by hand but im not that concerned about it yet. Possibly saturday or next week i will tear off my tensioner and idler pulley and replace them. Lately when i drive the truck for about 10 minutes the squeal stops but i still want to replace both them since the idler spins like its nothing and the tensioner is totally shot with how bad that damn thing bounces when the belt is in motion.

tensioner and idler are pretty cheap at least. Those should fix the problem, hopefully you dont have to go all out replacing everything. Its such a pita.

No, it does make sense as a spring will create more tension as it's compressed. Do a search on the Gates or Goodyear site to see what belt sizes you can get. 1/2" - 1" shorter can make a big diff.

Normally being that far out of alignment will shred belts, surprised that hasn't happened.

I didnt know that was that much out of alignment, hopefully that alone fixes it... The factory size belt does grab pretty hard, but I will try the belt next if I need to. Couldnt I just goto oreileys and find a belt for a different car thats shorter? I currently have a Dayco belt.

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

smdsig1.png

The alignment fix has DRAMATICALLY made the noise quieter. It still squeaks but not nearly as long. Next I am gonna get a different belt. How much shorter should it be?

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

smdsig1.png

I am going to try a smaller belt, how much shorter should it be then the oem one?

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

smdsig1.png

Squeak is gone!!! :clapping: First that spacer on the alts pulley made the loud squeal go away and it started doing a "chirp chirp chirp chirp" sound for about 5-10 seconds then go away. After this I did I got belt that was a 1/2 in shorter then the factory one, and the squeal and chirp is gone!! WOOHOO!!!!!

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

smdsig1.png

Archived