Nasty grinding sound while braking...

Just from experience... I wouldn't rule out new calipers if you've gone metal to metal for any length of time or the calipers already have high miles on them. I went metal to metal last year and bought new rotors and pads. 6 months later a caliper froze up and ate my new rotors/pads up on one side. So that was two brake jobs in under a year.

Autozone usually sells what is known as a "loaded caliper" which comes with brake pads and calipers, it was only 25-30 more than just the pads.

^^^^

I was just about to post this. Caliper sticking could have caused the whole issue. I would recommend the loaded calipers to save the double work, unless you enjoy pulling your tires of and breathing brake dust. Speaking of....be sure to wear a dust mask and get a can of brake cleaner too (and a drain pain to catch the nasty stuff that comes off). You DO NOT want to breath in brake dust.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

Just from experience... I wouldn't rule out new calipers if you've gone metal to metal for any length of time or the calipers already have high miles on them. I went metal to metal last year and bought new rotors and pads. 6 months later a caliper froze up and ate my new rotors/pads up on one side. So that was two brake jobs in under a year.

Autozone usually sells what is known as a "loaded caliper" which comes with brake pads and calipers, it was only 25-30 more than just the pads.

I had a customer come in with a complaint similar to this. She had worn the pads so much that the pad actually came out and the piston is what was compressing the rotor.

2006 GMC Yukon
Pioneer HU

SHCA ran throughout

Crescendo BC3500

One 18 AA Mayhem in a 4th order

ZED Levithian 6 channel

Rainbow Dual 6.5 comps ran Active
matt142-1-1.jpg
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155628-matt14s-yukon-mayhem-in-a-4th-ordernew-amps-and-bats/page-3

If you havnt figure it ur yet, jack it up and spin each of the wheels, and have someone slowly touch the brakes as your spinning them.. They should all stop the same and make no noises, if the caliper was bad and causing the grinding noise that wheel would be sticking when you spin it, if the wheel bearing was bad it would e more of different sound that grinding usually.. Of the rotors have gotten over headed to many times they could have warped and caused themselves to go bad and is probably your problem. If that doesn't help let me know

Laying frame soon.. System has to wait

If you havnt figure it ur yet, jack it up and spin each of the wheels, and have someone slowly touch the brakes as your spinning them.. They should all stop the same and make no noises, if the caliper was bad and causing the grinding noise that wheel would be sticking when you spin it, if the wheel bearing was bad it would e more of different sound that grinding usually.. Of the rotors have gotten over headed to many times they could have warped and caused themselves to go bad and is probably your problem. If that doesn't help let me know

I'll sure try that. We're taking a look at it tomorrow morning and I'll keep this forum up to keep track of what I've tried. Thanks for the help everyone! :drink40:

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Click to see my build log!

(2) SKAR VVX-12

Hifonics Brutus BRZ2400.1D

Hey stupid. I got your report. You cant type a coherent sentence but yet think you can run this much power? You cant even hyperlink on the internet. You have no mention of power upgrades. You just want dat big boom dat make dem bitchez panteez drop. Next time you report someone make sure the one getting the report isnt the one you reported.

Inner pads were down to metal, the outside pads not so bad. The rotor on the right was pretty well shot. Ended up being a better idea just buying new rotors instead of turning them. Pictures on the way.

(2) SKAR VVX-12

Hey stupid. I got your report. You cant type a coherent sentence but yet think you can run this much power? You cant even hyperlink on the internet. You have no mention of power upgrades. You just want dat big boom dat make dem bitchez panteez drop. Next time you report someone make sure the one getting the report isnt the one you reported.

2012-01-14100323.jpg

Shot shot shot.

2012-01-14100334.jpg

2012-01-14100433.jpg

2012-01-14100523.jpg

2012-01-14101526.jpg

2012-01-14113651.jpg

(2) SKAR VVX-12

sounds to me like a caliper is staying stuck closed may have a bad caliper or a bad brake line but pull the tires off and check the brake pads on of the rotors maybe warped too

123_zpsdd06b4db.png

Archived