Second Skin Audio

SPL box tuning?

i've never competed. but i do know you have to test different boxes tuned to different frequencies to find what your car peaks at. test it on a TL that is.

2 DC 12" lvl 4s

1 DC 1.2k

XS Power S3400

big 3

Alll KNU wire

Pioneer HU

cheapo Legacy coaxes (just for now)

dc-audio-you-should-get-there-is-no-try-just-do-thumb-1.jpg

I heard my 05 grand Cherokee's res.freq. is 47hz...so does this mean that's were it would be highest spl regardless if box is tuned to 32hz? Or if box was tuned to 47 it would score higher at 47 than any other setup?..Just wondering

http://www.stevemead...cherokee-build/

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Alpine CDE-hd148bt

Alpine PKG-RSE2

PRV Audio (4) 6MB200 front/rear doors

PRV Audio (4) TW350Ti dash/rear doors

Kicker KX350.4

Obsidian Audio (1) 18 D4 v2

revamp (2) Stereo Integrity HT 18d2
DC Audio 1.2k
5.25ft^3 tuned @34hz

revamp Infinite Baffle Cpillar

AudioTechnix 60mil deadener
KnuKonceptz & SkyHigh wire (complete setup)

stroupe79.jpg

I heard my 05 grand Cherokee's res.freq. is 47hz...so does this mean that's were it would be highest spl regardless if box is tuned to 32hz? Or if box was tuned to 47 it would score higher at 47 than any other setup?..Just wondering

Not tuned to 47Hz but tuned in a way that the response of the box peaks at 47Hz.

depending on other factors you wont peak at 47 either. you may peak higher or lower depending on your enclosure and internal space taken up by amps and such.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Thanks...I will just tune to what I like and not for the meter anyways...just curious really

http://www.stevemead...cherokee-build/

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Alpine CDE-hd148bt

Alpine PKG-RSE2

PRV Audio (4) 6MB200 front/rear doors

PRV Audio (4) TW350Ti dash/rear doors

Kicker KX350.4

Obsidian Audio (1) 18 D4 v2

revamp (2) Stereo Integrity HT 18d2
DC Audio 1.2k
5.25ft^3 tuned @34hz

revamp Infinite Baffle Cpillar

AudioTechnix 60mil deadener
KnuKonceptz & SkyHigh wire (complete setup)

stroupe79.jpg

SPL boxes peak output are frequently in the 40s region, enclosures are usually tighter the subwoofers used are usually high Fs. Just to give you an idea.

actually they are meant to peak at the resonant frequency of the vehicle. That way your enclosure peak and cabin peak are working together. it doesnt necessarily mean its in the 40s. CRXs peak in the 50s. tahoes and hte like peak in the 30s. Woofers dont need to have a higher FS to be used in spl applications. They just need to handle an absurd amount of power for a few seconds. Thats why you usually see the big 4inch coiled woofers. That does lend itself to have a higher fs in most cases but not always.

all spl records have been done with a 3 inch coil :P i dunno about this year tho

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

If you are building a full out spl vehicle your work will never be done because you are constantly trying to get louder. Your sub has a peak frequency as well as your enclosure and vehicle. These are variables and therefore can change when you change another. Example: I don't remember the guys name but he did a full build of his 2 door jeep cherokee. He was louder with no deadening because the spl caused his roof to flex and produce more spl. All I could look at is the amount of deadener he wasted and threw away to figure this out.

If you build an spl specific box your not going to be able to listen to music because it will sound like crap. You are also not running a lot of power to overwhelm your subs so you don't want a small box with big port. I personally would suggest an enclosure tuned to the mid to high 30's this way you can still listen to music but your going to peak at a higher frequency. (assuming your current box is a prefab or close to it)

After all the opinions that I read. I think I'm just going to keep my box that I currently have now. I appreciate everyone who shared their opinion! Thanks!