Mechman Alternators

270 Amp Alternator for 06 Charger

I have a 2006 Charger with 2.7l engine. I purchased 2 15" RE SXX's and 4 sets of RE 6.5" speakers with tweeters. I will be running a USAMPS 2krms amp for the subs along with 2 mb quart 500rms amps for the speakers. I was told on another forum that the computer in these cars limits the amount of power it puts out. My car has a stock 140amp alternator and i saw the 270amp alternator on the site so i was wondering if it would be a waste of money to buy this alternator if the computer will limit the power it puts out anyway?

I have a 2006 Charger with 2.7l engine. I purchased 2 15" RE SXX's and 4 sets of RE 6.5" speakers with tweeters. I will be running a USAMPS 2krms amp for the subs along with 2 mb quart 500rms amps for the speakers. I was told on another forum that the computer in these cars limits the amount of power it puts out. My car has a stock 140amp alternator and i saw the 270amp alternator on the site so i was wondering if it would be a waste of money to buy this alternator if the computer will limit the power it puts out anyway?

i maybe wrong but if the computer limited anything it would be charging voltage not amperage output.

you win some, you lose some

i maybe wrong but if the computer limited anything it would be charging voltage not amperage output.

Alright i just wasn't sure because there was a member on another forum with a magnum who was running 4 15's and had 4 xs power batteries and his lights were still dimming and his voltage was dropping as low as 11volts. in your opinion will i have to upgrade my alternator running the setup i explained above? Or should i be ok with just a yellowtop and an xs power d3100 ?

Alright i just wasn't sure because there was a member on another forum with a magnum who was running 4 15's and had 4 xs power batteries and his lights were still dimming and his voltage was dropping as low as 11volts. in your opinion will i have to upgrade my alternator running the setup i explained above? Or should i be ok with just a yellowtop and an xs power d3100 ?

i think you might be able to get away with 1 or 2 good g31 batteries.

lots of people will tell you to upgrade your alternator to biggest one you can, not always necessary. i would start up buy upgrading batteries if you feel like you still need more after that, than go for the alternator, but in the long run your are going to need batteries either way.

you win some, you lose some

i think you might be able to get away with 1 or 2 good g31 batteries.

lots of people will tell you to upgrade your alternator to biggest one you can, not always necessary. i would start up buy upgrading batteries if you feel like you still need more after that, than go for the alternator, but in the long run your are going to need batteries either way.

Alright, thank you for your help. if anyone else wants to chime in any opinion is appreciated

I would aim for an alternator and and extra battery if it were me. Yeah you can play off of extra batteries but you're going to be playing in the 12.5v and under range unless you have a biiig battery bank.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

The computer doesn't fully limit the power, it controls the voltage which in effect will reduce some power output.

That said, we have numerous customers who have purchased units for the same car and have seen great improvements in VOLTAGE STABILITY. While you can not increase the voltage over the PCM setting you can stabilize it to prevent excessive voltage drop.

I sell this part number constantly and have seen great results.

Bigger alt + better factory batt (yellowtop, xs, etc) + big 3 + secondary batt= no worries & slam all day.

TEAM Fi CAR AUDIO/ TEAM CRESCENDO AUDIO

Bagged '06 Dodge Magnum R/T "WICKED WAYS"

-4 Fi SP4 18's (4th Order)

-2 Fi SSD 10's (midbass)

-4 Diamond Audio D6 Comp Sets

-1pr. Crescendo FT-1 Supertweets

-Dual Alts -6 XS Power Batts

-4 Crescendo BC3500d's (subs)

-1 Crescendo BC2000d (10's)

-1 Crescendo c1100.4 (comps)

2010-10-14171939.jpg