DD-1, Gain, and Bass Boost

Alright, re-tuned my sub amp with the -5db track today, and out of curiosity decided to check if bass boost causes distortion. So I set the gain first of course, then started turning the bass boost knob. Got about 1/4 turn before the distortion light came on.

I never use bass boost, but does this mean I could use that little bit of boost safely?

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

I tuned mine with the bass knob all the way up... Then I went and set all my gains and whatnot, so no matter what, if I turn the knob all the way up while my head unit is at it's max unclipped volume, I know I'm not clipping.

My name is AdamThis is my Civic Build.7" Samsung Tab 2Kenwood KDC-X896Clarion EQS746Sundown X-15DC 3.5k @2ohmHatersGonnaHate's 02 Civic UBLELD Bypass for Honda Civic/Accord/FitDon's Jeep Grand Cherokee Rebuild

N8ball2013 - i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

srp365 - If posting were picking up bitches, I'd be going home single tonight

looks like tony montana sneezed in your car.

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg

Ahhh I gotcha. I came across the same thing with mine too. Tuned it to where it started indicating clipping, backed off a tad and let it play. No problems for me so far.

My name is AdamThis is my Civic Build.7" Samsung Tab 2Kenwood KDC-X896Clarion EQS746Sundown X-15DC 3.5k @2ohmHatersGonnaHate's 02 Civic UBLELD Bypass for Honda Civic/Accord/FitDon's Jeep Grand Cherokee Rebuild

N8ball2013 - i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg

bass boost is not to good to use because it mainly boosts only at the 45hz frequency im not sure if thats for every amp so ill let others chime in and see what they say. you should use the gain by itself since it will be louder for all frequencies unlike bass boost.

Edited by stevog

Think of bass boost as an ONE Octave EQ utilizing a potentiometer. It will have a preset Curve/Slope/Drop-off on either side of the boost and it will have a center frequency where the boost in signal is applied. Exact same thing as the EQ on your headunit.

So for example: play a song with notes that peak at lets say, 35hz, 45hz, 65hz (that are even loudness originally). Next add bass boost at +6dB@45hz which is the most common unless you have a variable frequency knob as as well. You just made the song uneven in that the 45hz will now be obviously louder than the 35hz and 65hz because its getting more of the boost. I'm just grazing the surface of using bass boost but its one example of why its not always going to benefit you as much as setting the gain properly.

If you had a system with a drop in response within the range of a boost you could use it to smooth out the dip... so long as you are not introducing distortion from adding too much boost.

In my opinion, bass boost is most useful for amps that are playing kick drums only, not heavy synth bass.

Edited by Decaf

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Think of bass boost as an ONE Octave EQ utilizing a potentiometer. It will have a preset Curve/Slope/Drop-off on either side of the boost and it will have a center frequency where the boost in signal is applied. Exact same thing as the EQ on your headunit.

So for example: play a song with notes that peak at lets say, 35hz, 45hz, 65hz (that are even loudness originally). Next add bass boost at +6dB@45hz which is the most common unless you have a variable frequency knob as as well. You just made the song uneven in that the 45hz will now be obviously louder than the 35hz and 65hz because its getting more of the boost. I'm just grazing the surface of using bass boost but its one example of why its not always going to benefit you as much as setting the gain properly.

If you had a system with a drop in response within the range of a boost you could use it to smooth out the dip... so long as you are not introducing distortion from adding too much boost.

In my opinion, bass boost is most useful for amps that are playing kick drums only, not heavy synth bass.

Very good explanation! :drinks:

06 GP GXP

Google Nexus 7 16gb

Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY.3

*Electrical*

DC Power 320a HP

2 - Juicebox Bananas g31

Stinger SPP2250 rear

Kinetik HC1800 side of wall

Optima Red Top front

Monster Cable 1/0, 2 runs to rear

Monster Cable 1/0 Big 3

2-Rockford Fosgate T1652S's

Rockford Fosgate T400-4

Rockford Fosgate T40001bd (4693rms @1ohm)

4-Sundown SA-15 D2's wired @ 1ohm/These are on the way out for 4 one off Eminent Audio 15's

15.2 cubes net tuned @34hz! Walled off

DBdrag official 151.6db @46hz

GXP Build log!:GP GXP Walled

Quality is the sign of a true enthusiast!

Refs: Link to leave more: http://www.stevemead...91#entry1603091

Bought from: Trippi (RF T2500bd, T1000-4),bre2ts (25ft Knu 1/0)

Sold to: shmew22 (T1500bdCP), Rev. Wrath (RF 3SIXTY.1), trjohnst (Knu 1/0, 3 fuse holders), Enemyofsilence (Audio Technix, RF T400-4).

Yea, I'd say Decaf pretty much nailed it lol. Thanks Decaf.

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg