Second Skin Audio

Box Design With Plexiglass

CWorthington

Damn, so now im nervous about making my own ported box.

412 CVX what program did you use to make that picture of your box, im using ms paint lol.

Are having boxes designed expensive? I could supply most of the supplies, minus the router and table saw and stuff.

Maybe i should just use my current sealed box for my new subs what ever i decided to get.

Ah, help anyone?

Ok man don't get nervous or keep a sealed enclosure which is no good for nice deep bass.

Ported boxes are easy to design and build, many of us can help you and you can also download the Torres calculator here on this site, here is a direct download link:

http://bit.ly/bO6hV7

Ported enclosures are by far the most used in the world and a majority of the hi-end audiophlile grade speakers use ported enclosures so you shouldn't be concerned about being bad sounding.

I think the only case in which you really want to use a sealed enclosure is when you don't have the space to place a ported one.

Its not opening the file. My computer says, file type unknown.

Thanks for the confidence guys it does mean a lot. Unfortunately something came up with my money and i wont be able to buy new subs and a amp for a while. But ill still keep in touch and trying to design my box roughly, before i get anything new.

Its not opening the file. My computer says, file type unknown.

Thanks for the confidence guys it does mean a lot. Unfortunately something came up with my money and i wont be able to buy new subs and a amp for a while. But ill still keep in touch and trying to design my box roughly, before i get anything new.

Yes, just rename it with an .exe extension. Nevermind this is just for learning, you make your moves when you feel is the right time.

"Ok man don't get nervous or keep a sealed enclosure which is no good for nice deep bass."

You want to clarify this statement. It's just personal opinion not based on fact. I just heard a sealed wall just yesterday that does 150db in the low twenties. Is that not "Deep bass" enough for you? This has as much to do with the driver you are using as much as the alignment the it's in. xmax, power handling, Bl etc. Hell, my wall will play to 25hz and it's sealed. Next time drop an IMO before a comment like this.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

^^can a ported box not sound good though?

are ALL ported boxes peaky as shit and sound horrible?

We're not trying to disclaim sealed boxes as bad, as they do have their place.

we're saying that ported boxes can sound good too, and when built and designed right can (potentially) yield quite a bit more output than a sealed box

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

^^can a ported box not sound good though?

are ALL ported boxes peaky as shit and sound horrible?

We're not trying to disclaim sealed boxes as bad, as they do have their place.

we're saying that ported boxes can sound good too, and when built and designed right can (potentially) yield quite a bit more output than a sealed box

Ported and bandpass can and do sound kick ass when done right. I never said anything bad about them I just wanted him to justify the remark he made with fact not just hyperbole. If I had the space I would've went bandpass myself but for 3 18" I would need alot more room than I have.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

"Ok man don't get nervous or keep a sealed enclosure which is no good for nice deep bass."

You want to clarify this statement. It's just personal opinion not based on fact. I just heard a sealed wall just yesterday that does 150db in the low twenties. Is that not "Deep bass" enough for you? This has as much to do with the driver you are using as much as the alignment the it's in. xmax, power handling, Bl etc. Hell, my wall will play to 25hz and it's sealed. Next time drop an IMO before a comment like this.

I clarify my statement to th OP since am pretty sure you know exactly what I am talking about.

SEALED-VS-PORTED.png

On yellow, the Sundown SA-12 sealed.

On violet, the Sundown SA-12 ported optimized for linear response.

Same input power.

Should be noted that both boxes are chosen on a SQ or linear alignment, I could get more output from the ported on a "power" alignment.

TheScottishBear, probably you should clarify your statement as well.

In this particular sub you are absolutely correct according to the data you provided. This doesn't have to be a pissing contest. You said that sealed enclosures were no good for deep bass. That's why I asked you to clarify. That is all. I never said ported could not outperform sealed at all. Don't get all bent out of shape. I'll be the first one to say I don't know everything. But...this is me asking a question and not busting balls. Wouldn't the overall Q of the driver be the large deciding factor in which it would be better suited in a ported or sealed alignment and this would reflect it's output and freq. response? Sorry if I came across as a douche nozzle. Not my intention.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

There are very few subs that I'd actually run sealed and be happy with the low-end output. The Dayton HF 15" is one of them though. Through it in 3ft^3 and you've got an anechoic F3 just above 30hz, which is crazy low for a sealed setup.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

Archived