Second Skin Audio

Kerf'ed port flare questions?

sprkn_ranger

Hey all, I'm wanting to learn a little bit about flaring a slot port. Im not wanting to know how to do it, cause my wood working skills are there,(I've done kerf bends before) my questions are more about how it works and what it takes to calculate the flare into the port design. I also read somewhere that if you flare the exit of the port then the other end of the port needs to be flared to match, is this correct? I'm new to building ported boxes (correctly anyways) and would like to learn, so If someone could point me in the right direction then I would be greatly thankful! :drinks:

Those are some good questions. I'd be interested in finding out as well. I first thought that kerfing was just for looks but as I read into port/vented designs i realized that every sqin determines the sound you will end up with. I'll be watchin this with you man. haha

Where is the SMD knowledge base on this!?

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

Find a port radius that you can physically do and that gives you a nice and even number for 1/4 of it's circumference, since that is the length that will need to be added for the total length of the MDF that you need. I usually do a 3.5" radius since it requires 5.5" of length to do it, which is easy to add into the measurements...easy for me and easy for the customer.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

Thanks for the reply ram, I do understand that, but what I'm looking for is more so how to calculate tuning with a flared port. Or does the effective port length end where the kerf'd radius begins? if that makes sense.

Thanks for the reply ram, I do understand that, but what I'm looking for is more so how to calculate tuning with a flared port. Or does the effective port length end where the kerf'd radius begins? if that makes sense.

Half way down the kerf, just like with flared aeros.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

I've heard from somewhere that you just measure the straight part. I forget who told me that.

Awesome! Thanks for the info! Anything else I need to know about a flared port?

Archived