How to know when to use crossovers?

BEEMDUB

you dont need a bandpass xover for a 2 way front stage. you can just use the amp's HPF. but obviously this guy isnt ready to talk about going active.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

you dont need a bandpass xover for a 2 way front stage. you can just use the amp's HPF. but obviously this guy isnt ready to talk about going active.

What about the lpf aspect of them then? and I know somewhat about active xovers they go before the amp and you can adjust them..

Do you understand what a crossover does?

this would be a lot easier to explain if you do

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Do you understand what a crossover does?

this would be a lot easier to explain if you do

Yes its like a filter that sends the correct frequencies to certain speakers and keeps undesired ones that are too high or too low from coming out of them..

The hp on my mids/highs amp stops at like 400Hz or something like that. Is that uncommon for a 4ch? And its not a cheap one either.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

What about the lpf aspect of them then? and I know somewhat about active xovers they go before the amp and you can adjust them..

the crossover would obviously have a LPF for the mids and HPF for the tweeters.

The hp on my mids/highs amp stops at like 400Hz or something like that. Is that uncommon for a 4ch? And its not a cheap one either.

and why would you want to cut at, or higher than, 400hz for a mid in a 2way front stage? HPF should be set around 80-100hz.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

you dont need a bandpass xover for a 2 way front stage. you can just use the amp's HPF.

and why would you want to cut at, or higher than, 400hz for a mid in a 2way front stage? HPF should be set around 80-100hz.

So please explain how one would go about running a 2 way front stage, active, off an amp that has a hp filter that stops at 400Hz. And while you're at it also explain how the mid would not suffer from beaming if it werent run bandpass, seeing as how 99% of the people running components dont have the tweets installed right next to the mid.

you dont need a bandpass xover for a 2 way front stage. you can just use the amp's HPF.

So please explain how one would go about running a 2 way front stage, active, off an amp that has a hp filter that stops at 400Hz. And while you're at it also explain how the mid would not suffer from beaming if it werent run bandpass, seeing as how 99% of the people running components dont have the tweets installed right next to the mid.

I don't think he is talking about running active. I think he means using a passive crossover only requires a HP on the amp.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

i dont think you understand what i said.

you dont need a bandpass crossover for a 2way. thats not saying you dont need a crossover. your regular crossover will do highpass for tweeters, lowpass for mids. now at your amp, you set the highpass to 80hz. now you have made a bandpass slope without searching all over for a crossover with bandpass. if we are talking about placement of speakers, well then we are talking about phase. at that point you probably need to look into processors. your basic active xover usually wont have any phase adjustments, or if it does it'll be one channel can do a 180* switch.

sorry if im not explaining it well. im trying to type quickly at work.

i dont think you understand what i said.

you dont need a bandpass crossover for a 2way. thats not saying you dont need a crossover. your regular crossover will do highpass for tweeters, lowpass for mids. now at your amp, you set the highpass to 80hz. now you have made a bandpass slope without searching all over for a crossover with bandpass. if we are talking about placement of speakers, well then we are talking about phase. at that point you probably need to look into processors. your basic active xover usually wont have any phase adjustments, or if it does it'll be one channel can do a 180* switch.

sorry if im not explaining it well. im trying to type quickly at work.

Alright....you gave me a headache earlier trying to figure out how what you said would work. I understand the concept but the execution seems flawed to me and this is why:

If you have an external xover (bandpass or not) it's between the deck and the amp and the speakers are run off the amp....from this point on all reference to signal are in regards to the mids unless otherwise stated....If the signal coming out of the xover is low passed at the maximum of 400Hz, that means the mid will be playing everything from 400 down....then the signal gets to the amp and you're gonna run it high pass at 80Hz, cutting off everything below that point. So once the signal gets to the mid it will pretty much be running bandpassed with 80Hz HP and 400Hz LP, right? Which means everything from 400Hz up to the xover point for the tweets, 3k Hz let's say, won't be played. How does that make sense? 2 way cutoff points should be more like 80Hz HP and 3k Hz LP. Or am I missing something?

If you just use a regular xover for your mids, and have them HP @ 80Hz, they will play everything from that point up and unless you can control the point at which they roll off at the high end then they'll likely play into the range the tweets are supposed to play which will negatively effect your soundstage and imaging, not to mention cone breakup and beaming.

Archived