Thanks bro. I'm thinking it will be to the point where it looks done by Monday or Tuesday. Keyword "looks". The back part and motorization will remain on the to do list. Once the front or visible part is done, I will at least be able to use it and not be ashamed of the gaping hole in the dash every time I come to a drive thru. Then I can pull it out and work on the other stuff when I get time. I still haven't decided on the parts for motorization yet but I did find the switches Im gonna use. My x5 has a sunroof switch that has forward, back and pop up buttons all in one. I plan to buy a matching one since there also just so happens to be an identical size punch out next to it that will house it perfectly. I have also relocated the lock switch and its going to go in the upper console with the sunroof switch since the volume knobs have taken its original place. The original switch had the hazard lights and lock switch built together so i ordered another BMW lock switch that came out of an e36. This way it looks more factory and also retains the orange illumination that will match the rest or the interior.

i'm liking the way this is coming out. but no 'cutout' on the face for the home button on the ipad?

Nope. Not unless I build a motorized button pusher on the inside of the bezel since the home button winds up in a wierd angle on the bezel. I had planed to take a dowel and drill a hole for it and basically sand one end to match the contour of the bezel and then match up with the home button on the other end so that it looked almost invisible to the eye but im afraid it just wont look good for what its worth. The gestures feature has the same effect as the home button for the most part so I plan to rely on that instead. In my testing without the bezel completed it has not been a problem to have it gone and use only geestures so I dont see it being a problem for me. I also perfer the cleaner look you get with no physical buttons showing at all. Was also the reason I put the volume and bass knobs down on the console since my original plan was to put them on the bezel somewhere.

Yeah you just pinch the screen with 4 fingers and it will back out of an app just like a home button click. four finger swipe up brings up music controls and previously visited apps, four finger swipe left or right will take you to the last app/apps you were on and back to the other without going back to the home screen or ever pushing the home button. Only things i can think of that the gestures wont replicate is being able to triple click home to activate what you choose in settings which i rarely use, combo push home and lock screen button to take a pic of current screen image (also not important to me and the lock button will also be inaccessable as in many ipad installs) and finally a hard reset which also must be pushed with the lock button. If a hard reset becomes neccessary i can always pull the ipad out to do it. I will prob try to make a vid when all is done to show the end user functionality in the car. Maybe that info will help if someone else has an issue installing an iPad where having the home button available is not possible or desirable.

All the details are taking a bit more time than i had hoped. Rounded out the harsh inset corners with some filler. Still flaws to fix but coming along slowly but surely.

6876859828_48caa262c1_b.jpg

IMG_1689 by rogueauto, on Flickr

Look on the inside of the ipad opening, flushed trimmed the edge out some.

7022960331_edae3c1538_b.jpg

IMG_1693 by rogueauto, on Flickr

7022960487_7c0b65cdfd_b.jpg

IMG_1695 by rogueauto, on Flickr

Archived