Second Skin Audio

Box size vs tuned hz

Bigger box will play further below the tuning point, it will also be more efficient. But at the same time, have less power handling and depending on the application - might sound a bit more boomy vs. a punchy sound.

I've always been partial to the sound of a larger box, but that's all personal preference.

i dont play my boxes below tuning but i would imagine a smaller box could play below tuning better. the reason being, a small box has more air pressure when playing. that pressure is a part of the speaker's suspention. more stiffer suspention means more cone control. thats why a larger box is more efficient, softer suspentions so the cone moves easier.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Bigger box will play further below the tuning point, it will also be more efficient. But at the same time, have less power handling and depending on the application - might sound a bit more boomy vs. a punchy sound.

I've always been partial to the sound of a larger box, but that's all personal preference.

i dont play my boxes below tuning but i would imagine a smaller box could play below tuning better. the reason being, a small box has more air pressure when playing. that pressure is a part of the speaker's suspention. more stiffer suspention means more cone control. thats why a larger box is more efficient, softer suspentions so the cone moves easier.

It's always been my experience that a smaller box will drop off pretty fast below tuning, while a larger box will play a bit more below the tuning point before dropping off.

I have no clue why though. It does seem to go against logic lol

I have a kicker cvr 15 dual 4 port box range 3-5 cube

Ok here it is:

CVR15.jpg

Kicker CVR 15" on 3 different boxes:

10cuft@32Hz on green

3cuft@32Hz on orange

1cuft@32Hz on white

Pretty different right??

Didn't see an option to PM you on your profile, so sorry OP if I hijack real quick :pardon:

Joe, would you be able to do one of those plots for 2 Kicker Comp 12s on 200 watts in a 3.8 ft^3 net tuned to 32Hz? Don't know how much of this info you actually need or if you need more but it'd be much appreciated!

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

I prefer larger boxes as well for the bump in output below 40hz....seems to level things out and get rid of the annoying 50hz+ bass that I can't stand at high volumes. Tune low enough and you pretty much never have to worry about your sub(s) unloading below tuning(with music). Right now I'm running a single 10" Assassin(TC2+ motored) in 1.5ft^3 at 28hz...been using that box for a long time and love it.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

I have a kicker cvr 15 dual 4 port box range 3-5 cube

Ok here it is:

CVR15.jpg

Kicker CVR 15" on 3 different boxes:

10cuft@32Hz on green

3cuft@32Hz on orange

1cuft@32Hz on white

Pretty different right??

I love the way that 10 cube box peaks at 35 but the size is not going to work. How about if we lower box hz to 26hz

• 2 weeks later...