DD-1 and strapping??

running the amps belolow 1 ohm? or 2 ohms strapped?

EDIT : damn snowdrifter beat me to it

Edited by jake1993

Jacob Sigmund

1 dc level 4 m1 18

1 audiopipe ap1500

2 runs of knu 1/0

jake1993sig.jpg

Alex Bennington" <[email protected] ^^^ want one one email this guy he will hook you up!

2 amps, 2 subs. d1s wired to 1ohm, then strapped so they each see .5. The subs are running warm and I can smell them after 30-45 seconds of full tilt play.

06 Police TahoeHU- Pioneer 80prsAmp- Crossfire 8kSub- 4 15" Crossfire xs v2sWire- 1/0 Knu/AudiotechnixAlt- 3 Mechman SMD 340sBatts- 6 XS Power 3100s, 2400

Did you set your subsonic on the amp at all? It sounds just like my SMD used to do when i dropped below the port freq too far. It would play and get a smell for a second or two but would be fairly warm to the touch. I set the subsonic filter a half-assed way with a DMM (yes i know thats not accurate but i didnt have the CC-1 like i do now and wanted to get that set as i kept bottoming the sub out and popping the dustcap off) and it never got hot like that again.

Also you are not using any bass boost or anything like that correct? Even with the dd-1 being as accurate as it is bass boost is still very bad to have because if you have 3 songs and one of those has that same freq that your bass boost raises at a high level you will be clipping the sub to all hell. Make sure your bass boost is turned completely off, loudness is turned completely off, and your eq is set to flat and if you have a CC-1 set your subsonic filter. I

f you dont have a cc-1 the half ass way of setting it (note: this is by absolutely no means accurate but its better than just winging it) play a test tone (you can make these in audacity for free, just google how to do so) of the freq you want to have your subsonic/infrasonic filter set to (typically its 2Hz below your port tuning. so if you have your box tuned to lets say 45Hz, make a test tone at 43Hz). Disconnect the subwoofer from the amp outputs and plug in a DMM. With the subsonic/infrasonic set all the way off or to the left-most position play the 43Hz test tone. Observe the voltage. Now take 3/4 of that voltage and write that voltage down. The voltage you calculated a minute ago will be the voltage you will want to achieve when you turn up your subsonic/infrasonic filter. Now start to turn up the subsonic/infrasonic filter up until you reach that voltage you calculated. Connect the sub and see how it does.

Again that method is very inaccurate but its better than just eyeballing it or anything like that. And i would set your gains at a 0db tone to start out with and see if your subs still get hot. If they do you are clipping them somewhere in your system and need to look over all of your settings. If the subs run cool with the gains set to 0db then you will want to adjust the gains with a -5db tone.

Little note: When i set my gains with the dd-1 and adjusted the x-over with the cc-1, i played a 0db tone for finding the volume level of my headunit and setting the gain on my 3sixty.2. For the amps i set those with the -5db track. That way i know i have 0 clipping before the amp and any clipping is a result of my amp not anything else (as long as the songs never exceed 0db but thats rarely if ever going to happen)

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

I set it with a -5db so it really should have a low risk of clipping. As for the subsonic it's roughly between 25-30hz. They can smell of low songs, high songs, doesn't matter. My gain is about 3/8 just so you understand how low it physically looks. My volume on my hu doesn't clip to 39/40, I set it to 36/40. I don't drop past mid 12s full tilt on music. Hope that answered everything. It has to be something to do with the subs.. I'll figure it out.

06 Police TahoeHU- Pioneer 80prsAmp- Crossfire 8kSub- 4 15" Crossfire xs v2sWire- 1/0 Knu/AudiotechnixAlt- 3 Mechman SMD 340sBatts- 6 XS Power 3100s, 2400

How hard is it to pull out the sub and feel the motor? If its fairly easy check it that way and see. It could be like fox_racing4 said and just need to be worn in a bit. I had that with my mids when they were new and they smelled like i was frying them for a month before it broke in and never had the smell again.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

IIRC his subs are inverted

My sa10s stunk while being played for about 3 weeks never got warm Eventually stopped smelling them

Just put 1 new sub in after i shreaded one And the smell is back I named it "the sundown smell" hahah

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

Even the coil gets hot after maybe 30 seconds of play time. I can feel the motor but it's decieving because it's so cold out in Michigan, I'm not really in my car long enough for the motors to really get to room temp. Honestly Im pretty sure I know what it is now, as these weren't standard xs v2 recones like I thought..