dimming, caused by tweets?!

I have not yet installed my woofers and am in the pricess of upgrading my mids and highs and sound deadeneing. Long story short, I added an alpine ktp445 power pack to my cda 117 headunit, plan on running a couple tweets off the headunit and my doors have a 4 channel amp, but after I installed it at high volumes 25/35 the lights on the headunit and my clarion eq dimm really bad. I had the alpine headunit, the clarion eq, the bose2onstar module, and a steering wheel controls module all crimped to power.. but my question is, in a situation like this do you need a relay? Or what is a proper fix?

2008 TBSS Black Granite

Alpine CDA-117

Clarion EQS746

AudioQue Supertweets @ dash

Alpine DDT-s30 @ b pillars

Alpine SPR-60c @ front doors

Alpine SPR-60 @ rear doors

Alpine PDX-f4

Second Skin DampPro

KNUkonceptz Wiring

DCpower 270amp alt

Optima YT underhood *temp

Two15DCxls

Hifonics bxi2610 *temp

saz4500 and 4 xp3000s coming soon.

How are they wired? What's the impedance?

Checked good power/ground on head unit?

Did you install your new battery yet, if I'm not mistaken, you have made several posts about how your vehicle's light dim and something about doing the big 3 upgrade and such..

New build coming soon. [center][url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/sigtoo.jpg/"][img]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9541/sigtoo.jpg[/img][/url][/center]

The radio has a poor wiring system for the power and ground. I would upgrade the power and ground wires for it, you could use a relay if you wished but thats just stupid. Id just upgrade the power and grounds and connect them to the battery. Even stock radio's ive seen in my truck had the dimming with them when the bass hits. Think of it like this... You have the power pack on your headunit and even with just the mids and highs its a lot more power output than the stock OEM radio will draw and having that go through the OEM 18-20ga wire is not going to work well. Its like an amplifier. If you have an amp connected in the back on a battery there may be some voltage drop at the amp but not in the rest of the system. This is exactly what you are facing.

Also ive noticed this with my Envoy, the charging system on the envoy's and trailblazers are weird. What ive noticed whether i have any draws on or not, if i turn the knob for my interior lights and stare at them i can see the lights pulsating with the engine running but when i turn it off it stops. I have no change in voltage when i use my DMM or o-scope so idk whats causing that fast flicker but im not really worried about it.

edit: i forgot to mention, my headunit (alpine iva-w205) did the same thing with the backlight for my lcd screen on the headunit and i didnt run a power pack off the radio. I was running the headunit with the stock speakers too and everytime the bass would play the backlight on my lcd would flicker with the beat but as soon as i disconnected the speakers from using the amps outputs and connected the speakers to an actual amplifier i never have had that problem ever again.

Edited by kickass audio

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

I have a yellow top under the hood and the big 3 in zero gauge, it is good but I have never had headunit dimm before till after the power pack install. I will run them straight to the battery and see how that affect is, but most likely that will do the trick..

2008 TBSS Black Granite

Alpine CDA-117

Clarion EQS746

Alpine PDX-f4

Second Skin DampPro

KNUkonceptz Wiring

DCpower 270amp alt

Two15DCxls

Hifonics bxi2610 *temp

That should fix it. Im very confident in it fixing it. the power wires for the dashboard suck and are so thin that they will be super sensitive to excess current being drawn. Those power packs arent that big but for the stock wiring harness they are. Id keep the rest of your headunit on the wiring harness but where the wire comes off of your headunit for the power and grounds id just put them to your battery or something close like a distro block, etc.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Sounds good, should I also do it to the eq? Maybe run like 8awg from batt to the back of radio area and distribute from there..

2008 TBSS Black Granite

Alpine CDA-117

Clarion EQS746

Alpine PDX-f4

Second Skin DampPro

KNUkonceptz Wiring

DCpower 270amp alt

Two15DCxls

Hifonics bxi2610 *temp

8ga is very overkill for that. I would run 10 gauge for it unless you have a lot of 8ga laying around.

For your eq, is that sharing the same +12v and ground on your radio? If so just upgrading the wire for both will be more than good enough for you.

everything was sharing the ground bolt and factory power.. smh. And I actually do have some knu 8awg laying around I never used... use what you got I guess. Thank you for all the help. Much appreciated.

2008 TBSS Black Granite

Alpine CDA-117

Clarion EQS746

Alpine PDX-f4

Second Skin DampPro

KNUkonceptz Wiring

DCpower 270amp alt

Two15DCxls

Hifonics bxi2610 *temp

That should deff help. Let me know how it goes for you. :drink40: