Second Skin Audio

Subs that play low

I'm looking for a list of subs (not comparisons) that can play down to mid 20 Hz's or even lower. I don't really know how to go about finding this for myself. I've done some reading and have an idea that maybe it's based on the Fs spec of a woofer but I still don't know for sure.

I've heard suggestions that the Fi SP4 and the SSA Zcon would both be great candidates, but why?

Another question that I had is about playing below tuning frequency. I know that it's not recommended to do, so that's why I'm looking to tune my box to mid or low 20s. I love chopped and screwed music and am looking to be loud and low basically. No competing, just looking for a daily driver setup that I can jam to on a daily basis.

So if anybody can help me out with these few things then that'd be much appreciated. Thanks! :drinks:

EDIT: I'm headed off to bed now so that I can finish up some homework before work tomorrow, so hopefully I can get some good feedback between now and then :)

Edited by iChrisTucker
ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

Just about any sub will play low if in an oversized box or in a minimum recommdended size with a low low tuning.

Look for a low Fs in the sub specs. Those generally play lower.

04 Monochrome LT Chevy Tahoe

-A few wires, half a speaker, some watts

-All Black 6's

-Paint to Match, SS Bumper, Black grills.

-HID'ed and LED'ed

-A few performance enhancers

I have two nice subs for sale, but I am not allowed to help my fellow forum members by offering it to them for a nice price via my signature, sorry

It's all in the box :)

Edit: Tuning low-mid 20s is way too low IMHO. You would lose a ton of output.

At that point, I think your best bet is a 4th order

Edited by SnowDrifter

I also wouldn't tune that low, you will have poor poor output at middle and upper bass frequencies. 30Hz with a med size box should suffice.

04 Monochrome LT Chevy Tahoe

-A few wires, half a speaker, some watts

-All Black 6's

-Paint to Match, SS Bumper, Black grills.

-HID'ed and LED'ed

-A few performance enhancers

I have two nice subs for sale, but I am not allowed to help my fellow forum members by offering it to them for a nice price via my signature, sorry

my tumults have an fs of 17 with the oem cones, they still play pretty well in my box thats tuned to 31 hz

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

I had a pair of AQ 15's that got nasty low i could play down to around 14hz and could do a minor hair trick at 18hz on 1500 watts. My bandwidth was outstanding as well. I could play as low as 14hz and into the 40's+ no problem. It's all in the box. I ran the AQ's in a 8 cube box tuned to 35hz with port area of 12 inches per foot.

Pioneer AVIC F900BT double din

Stinger digital volt meter on dash

1/0 guage power wire positive and negative

Interstate 117ah battery in the back

2 runs 4 guage power wire from rear battery to amp

Power Acoustics Stax 5500

4 Powerbass m-15's(old style)

2 sets o2 5.25 inch components in front

2 Sony 5x7 in back

Sony 500 watt 4 channel

I also have a pair of Massive Audio DC 10's that get crazy low as well, around 24hz in a 4.5 cube box with 3 4 inch tubes tuned to 33hz with 7inches per foot of port area.

Pioneer AVIC F900BT double din

Stinger digital volt meter on dash

1/0 guage power wire positive and negative

Interstate 117ah battery in the back

2 runs 4 guage power wire from rear battery to amp

Power Acoustics Stax 5500

4 Powerbass m-15's(old style)

2 sets o2 5.25 inch components in front

2 Sony 5x7 in back

Sony 500 watt 4 channel

Great responses so far, but if I'm going to be playing songs that dip into low 20s would that be safe with a box tuned to 30Hz? I don't think I've got the room for a 4th order in my trunk, only a ported box so should I just try to make the box bigger and keep the port area per cu ft small?

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif