Second Skin Audio

What is the benefits of proper Ohms..Also need help with proper connections and settings

I just got 2 Orion XTR 124's and they are dual 4 ohm..My question is does the speaker work better when both terminals are used and does anybody know what the best way i can wire up these subs is.I have a Coustic 600se it is 2 ohm x 1 bridged @ 600 watts... What would give me the best sound and power...Also i have a freq gain,sens gain,and bass boost gain...So how should i set these up..should i turn down the sensitivity knob and turn up the bass boost...should i turn down the bass boost and adjust the sensitivity as needed per song(I just bought a gain knob).Im just trying to understand the last mechanics behind my build and how to get max power .Im up for any and all suggestions.. Also are these Orions any good...

Edited by MrFree

R.I.P...99'Dodge Grand Caravan

03 Lancer Oz

Big 3

HU-JVC KD-530

RCA's-rockerfosgate

41/2 inch Infinity mids

Subs-(12's)2 Orion xtr124

Amp-Coustic600se

battery-2 x stock, 1x Shuriken SK-BT20

Box-L-ported 3.562cubes@35Hz

miscellaneous-stinger volt-meter, gain nob, (coming soon bass pro,eq,line drive)

I dont have flex yet but damn I sound good,(coming soon....flex)

Check out my HHR install

Everything I install or build here:http://s1160.photobu...s/q485/MrBfree/

Also video's of my Car with the new box.http://www.youtube.c...lentGyge/videos

I revised it for better coherency sorry about that..Also i keep going into protect mode on my amp..my amp or box hates the song "Bass..I love you"... at half volume the amp cuts off.it also happens to alot of other songs but normally at higher volumes..Any ideas? could the ohms be dropping to low....Also in the first post I said I want to blow a sub,2 even.I have 2 blue P.O.S Pioneers and a couple hifonics,Orions,etc..I havnt blown a sub yet and i want to see what it takes..before i blow something expensive..And i was hoping something was set up wrong and that was saving the speakers from bein blown..

Edited by MrFree

03 Lancer Oz

Big 3

HU-JVC KD-530

RCA's-rockerfosgate

41/2 inch Infinity mids

Amp-Coustic600se

miscellaneous-stinger volt-meter, gain nob, (coming soon bass pro,eq,line drive)

Check out my HHR install

Your ohms don't "drop to low" whatever your voice coils are wired to determine your impedance or ohm load to the amp. If you have a dual voice coil speaker and the coils are 4 ohm coils then you can wire them parallel an get a final load of 2 ohms. If your amp puts out 600w @2 ohms then the speaker will see 600w. As far as the amp going into protect, I'd be willing to bet its clipping and your voltage drop is so bad that it's protecting from being starved of power. Get your amp gain set right and turn your bass boost, loud ect off and you should be good.

Edited by sprkn_ranger

Your subwoofers have two 4 ohm voice coils each.

That means you can wire a single woofer to 2 ohms (parallel) or 8 ohms (series) or you can wire both woofers to 1 ohm (parallel-parallel), 4 ohms (series-parallel), or 16 ohms (series-series).

With your amplifier being a 2 channel amplfier rated down to 2 ohms stereo your options are to wire each sub to 2 ohms and put each on a separate channel or wire the subs to 4 ohms and bridge them across the channels of the amplifier (this will produce a 2 ohm load to the amplifier because it has 2 channels. Monoblocks do not see the halving of impedence like 2 channel amplifiers do).

Yes, you must use all of the voice coil terminals, otherwise you are only using part of the motor power of the subwoofer. As you dont seem to understand electrical too much I would suggest wiring each subwoofer separate to a 2 ohm load and putting one subwoofer on each channel of the amplifier.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Your subwoofers have two 4 ohm voice coils each.

That means you can wire a single woofer to 2 ohms (parallel) or 8 ohms (series) or you can wire both woofers to 1 ohm (parallel-parallel), 4 ohms (series-parallel), or 16 ohms (series-series).

With your amplifier being a 2 channel amplfier rated down to 2 ohms stereo your options are to wire each sub to 2 ohms and put each on a separate channel or wire the subs to 4 ohms and bridge them across the channels of the amplifier (this will produce a 2 ohm load to the amplifier because it has 2 channels. Monoblocks do not see the halving of impedence like 2 channel amplifiers do).

Yes, you must use all of the voice coil terminals, otherwise you are only using part of the motor power of the subwoofer. As you dont seem to understand electrical too much I would suggest wiring each subwoofer separate to a 2 ohm load and putting one subwoofer on each channel of the amplifier.

OUCH!! Yes i dont know electrical that well.My bad.Also thanks for that indepth response. You are the man!.I wish you a satisfying build and a good night sir thank you..Real quick I took from that, series on one and parell on the other, bridged... I need to be charging at a higher wattage so new alternater.Which makes sense cause im dropping as low as 11.94 volts..Is this about right!?!? Thanks again

03 Lancer Oz

Big 3

HU-JVC KD-530

RCA's-rockerfosgate

41/2 inch Infinity mids

Amp-Coustic600se

Check out my HHR install

You may just need to re-do the grounds (and positives) under the hook of the vehicle to get a more acceptable charging voltage. 12v is low, but its not that bad.

Edited by STEvil

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Have you done the big 3 yet?

What voltage does your battery read with the car off after it's been sitting overnight?

What size power/ground wire are you using? And are you measuring voltage at the battery or amp?

Have you done the big 3 yet?

What voltage does your battery read with the car off after it's been sitting overnight?

What size power/ground wire are you using? And are you measuring voltage at the battery or amp?

Sorry I just re-read this thread.uhm overnight I think its 14.04 running.turned off its 13.67.I am reading the voltage at the capacitor.I also have a jump box for hot shotting dead battery's that i plug to the top of the capacitor and ground to the rest of the grounds running to the side panel so all together i have a stock battery,quarter farad,and a jump box..I have not done the big three yet.

Currently I have the subwoofers wired to 1ohm mono..I tryed to run 2ohm stereo and nothing came on.I have a dead left ground terminal..

03 Lancer Oz

Big 3

HU-JVC KD-530

RCA's-rockerfosgate

41/2 inch Infinity mids

Amp-Coustic600se

Check out my HHR install

have you done the big 3? you should.

and you'll fuck that amp up if you wire it at 1 ohm bridged. that makes each channel see a half ohm. big no no.

capacitor probably isnt helping you out whatsoever since your voltage is dropping.

do you have 4 gauge running to the amp?

where are your grounds bolted to? they should be on a strut tower or the frame of the car with the metal sanded down so that its shiny where the lug touches

all of these questions are important

edit: may i ask why the hell your box is tuned to 45hz?

edit 2: the new edit box is really fucking pissing me off

Edited by Kranny