Sonic Electronix

About JL audio (from experience)

Unfortunately, a yellow top battery & a shuriken bt-120 battery isent enough. My shop is trying to charge me 550$ for a h/o alternator. & i dont want to pay that. Iv been so frustrated having multiple problems that im just about to rip everything out & go stock again.

2 batteries and a h/o alt for just one 750 watt amp. Or do you have more amps?

your most likely popping fuse because your amp is trying to draw more power than its getting, do you have a voltage meter to see if your voltage is dropping, it might be time to up grade your power supply .

voltage drop will cause clipping which cause blown subs.

When your electrical can't keep up and you get voltage drop, your amp draws more current. Stop putting larger fuses in. You're just gonna kill your amp.

Have you done your big 3 yet? What gauge are you running and is it CCA or CU wire? How well is your amp grounded. Show us pics and we can help you out... you shouldn't have to spend 5 bills on an alt just for a 750/1

EDIT: fixed bad grammar.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I've seen JL manuals... they're detailed has hell and if you follow them to a T they will get you bumpin clean. It's easy to blow all sorts of stuff if you skip the manual

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Unfortunately, a yellow top battery & a shuriken bt-120 battery isent enough. My shop is trying to charge me 550$ for a h/o alternator. & i dont want to pay that. Iv been so frustrated having multiple problems that im just about to rip everything out & go stock again.

Im running two 12w7s , two hd 750/1 & a slash 300/4 for reg speakers,

Im running two 12w7s , two hd 750/1 & a slash 300/4 for reg speakers,

Oh I thought it was just one amp

why did you put an 80 amp fuse in? just curious.

Just because i cant stand popping fuses all the time, so i go a little extra. I poped two 80s on it playing music, so this amp must be pushing out more then it claims.

The fuses are there to protect your gear and wires, they pop so your amp or wires doesnt blow up/melt. If you bring the fuse rating a lot higher than what it's supposed to be it's not gonna protect your gear as well as possible. If a properly sized fuse keeps popping it's an error somewhere that has to be fixed.

I will add that yes, i had voltage drop alot, not so much clipping, but i also think that it was tuned to high, playing freq too high that it wasent ment to play.

Playing high frequencies won't hurt your sub, might sound bad, but it shouldn't damage it. Low frequencies on the other hand might be a bit dangerous...

But the voltage drop probably had a bad effect here.

Ah, so you had a shop install and tune everything? If so, have you made any adjustments?

I'd say go back and see what they have to say about it. If they f'd up you should obviously get it covered.

If you don't want a HO alt, at least make sure you have WELL dimentioned wiring with solid connections. "The Big 3" etc.

You should get away with it as long as you don't play it full tilt all the time.

& its dark, il try to get some more photos tomorrow. I just took it to a shop & they did everything, so its frustrating since i barley know what the hell they did. I think im just going to rip everything out if they decide to screw me & not replace it for free.

If you tell the shop that you put an 80 amp fuse in when it was supposed to have a 60 amp then they are definitely not gonna replace anything for free.

um this is very dumb lol.

i work at car tunes in Brandon FL and honestly i have done 3 installs in last month with JL 12W7 and the HD and slash amps for highs and mid and subs.

and them W7 if anything are underated and the amps do rated.

and only way your hurting them amps and blowing fuses like that is somewhere down line there is a short in the system or your clipping like a mother f***ker if you blew a 12w7 im shocked i have never seen one return to our shop. without them voiding the warranty.

one of two things either your shop set that system up or you are sending some bad signals and messed with something things you shouldnt have.

also note guys if he had it at the shop they probably most likely didnt build the box them selfs and had a pre fabbed one in order or delivered which them boxes for 12" sealed sit at 1-1.5 cu.ft.

edit: high frequency wont hurt the sub , is the box custom ported or sealed? and thatdoesnt seem like enough voltage drop to fry everything unless you got a weak alternator , a bad battery , bad grounds , clipped music , or you play full tilt a lot. IMO upgrade all grounds and if its a real shop they should exchange the sub, tell them to check the batterys and alternatorto make sure they are working properly.

also what size is power wire? and grounds for the amp they could be under powering it but still turning gains up. which is also could be hurting it.

I'd say go back and see what they have to say about it. If they f'd up you should obviously get it covered.

& its dark, il try to get some more photos tomorrow. I just took it to a shop & they did everything, so its frustrating since i barley know what the hell they did. I think im just going to rip everything out if they decide to screw me & not replace it for free.

If you tell the shop that you put an 80 amp fuse in when it was supposed to have a 60 amp then they are definitely not gonna replace anything for free.

He has a good point there.. Even IF the shop did something wrong and it wasn't you that messed with it in the first place, by going to a bigger fuse you messed up one of the things they did right. So as it blew after you had changed to 80amp fuses, really this one might be on you.

According to Ohm's Law, Power = Volts x Amperes

Therefore, when there is a voltage drop, the amplifier will try to make it up to the power it needs, drawing more current. That explains the blown fuses.

But with 33% increased rating on the fuses, you were allowing your amps to (even though briefly) output way more than they were designed to, if by any chance they were fed the proper 12v.

This goes to show how solid JL amplifiers are, and I could guess that the subwoofer was blown pretty much because of the power wiring's fault.

Archived