Horns

install them and give us a review ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Awesome Vid Sir ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I have a pair of Image dynamics horns that I've had for 3 or 4 years but haven't installed yet . I was wondering if anyone had horns in their setup and if so what amp did they use?

I use an mbquart onyx 4.60 "active" and have the horns crossed at 1000hz (24db) I think there is another person on the forum who uses them remember their name. When installing them you want them as far apart and as deep under the dash as they can go. They use the whole bottom of the dash as a giant waveguide. I used the full size ID horn bodies due to my center console. They also play a little lower than the minis. They do have some peaks as I mentioned in the video. You can get awawy with a 15 band eq or even a seven like me but a 1/3 octave will really help them shine.

They have tremendous output on low power and most of the peaks are in the vocal range. The compression drivers I use (Selenium 2500ti) are 8 ohm so they only see 30 watts which is more than enough. I have the 10" in the doors on 240 watts and they match up pretty well. The wall is on 1500 watts as well It is pretty well rounded and I have no problem playing nickle creek or waka flocka. I am replacing the door speakers with a 12" selenium pro mid which has a higher 1w/1m. If you use a 6 or 8 " you will need a gaggle of wattage to keep up with the horns. Here are a couple x-over points to look at.

Horns 1000hz (24db) -20k

Midbass 80-1000 (24db)

Subbass 80hz -20hz

Follow thi tutorial. to make them really outstanding.

So in this order

- put one side out of phase vbglossarlink.gif Horn and midbass driver

- listen and try reversing both horns polarity phase to lift sound stage vbglossarlink.gif

- balance left

- t/a left mid only until it lifts up as high as possible then mirror that setting to other side

- then balance center

- t/a left horn and mid together until it shifts center no more than .5 millisecond

- EQ left and right separately as the lower midrange / upper mid bass area 160 to 400 hz range can really lower our stage height. If you dont have an RTA try these settings 125 - 3dB 160 -9dB 200 -6dB 250 -6dB 320 -3dB and see if it is better tonally and stage height wise.

To smooth the top end adjust as follows 2000 -3dB 2500 -6 dB 3000 -6dB 4000 -3db

Thanks to neal for this tutorial.

Awesome Vid Sir ...

Thanks bro. I have wanted to get a demo of your truck for a while.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Thanks a lot for the well thought out answer bro . You gave those of us who are thinking about horns a ton of info .

When you hear a well tuned horn setup it will be hard to go back to a conventional 2 or 3 way. They are a pain in the ass to mount, expensive, and need eq but they are worth it. They were all the rage with the sq cats back in the nineties but it is hard to find any info on them now. What ID horns do you have? Is it just the lenses are did you buy them complete

Edited by TheScottishBear

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle