(Idea) Capacitors In High Amperage Setups

hm, i'll probably try this with my system. it's going to be a smaller setup but it's going to have hopefully have good sq for a roughly, 1900watt system. smaller than what you gujys are talking about, but i'm also trying to stay cheap with my batteries and electrical system minus the big 3.

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Shell of box / baffle built by me

Port / sealing the box by John Hone

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177428-97jettas-sql-trunk-wall-loudest-99-buick-century-custom-with-a-one-legged-owner/

price has no influence on how something sounds

I told him to move the fucking port.

they see me hoppin they stoppin they can't believe im so white and dirty

It looks like you got so drunk, that someone came up and stole your leg.

The 5000 farad capacitors in the picture are know as a supercapacitors and they are capable of storing so much capacitance since they can only carry a low voltage, since the dielectric inside them is very thin, to get those 2.7v capacitors capable of storing 14.4 volts you would 6 of them in series you would have about 800 farads..

Even though capacitors discharge very fast due to their very low internal resistance they also take long to re-charge, so you might gain from them for a very short amount of time when the bass hits.

I prefer batteries because they store a hell of a lot more energy, and the more of them you add in parallel, the more you are reducing their internal resistance.

it would be nice if someone did some actual testing.. anyway that's just my 2 cents :)

My System (in VW golf/Rabbit mk2)

(1) Hifonics Brutus 2010D @ 1ohm

(1) Hifonics Zeus 440 Mids'nhighs

(3) JBL W10Gti subs

(2) JBL GTO838

(2) JBL GTO936

(1) run of 3/0 Gauge ofc

(1) Ac Delco120ah 850cca battery (front)

(1) Ac Delco 45ah 330cca battery (rear)

(1)Sony Gt630ui hu

34hz tuning

img2422kv.jpg

sorry, im not reading through all the replies so i may repeat something.

First of all, some people do use caps. but its important to know the difference in capacitor technology. if you get your hands on some good carbon caps, you will see a benefit. I know of a guy doing 160+db and he said when he added his carbon caps that he gained a whole DB. thats fucking huge at that level. each cap was about the size of a G31 battery, little different shape, and he said they cost him about $800 each.

Second, wiring those small caps in series will raise their voltage capability HOWEVER, caps in series also cut capacity in half. so its really not worth it unless you did a holy shit ton of them.

as for when power is drawn from what: power will be drawn from the highest voltage power source. if you had two power supplies, one at 13v and one at 13.2v both on the same load, the PS at 13v wont be powering anything. if the load becomes great enough that the 13.2v PS drops to 13v then the two will share the load. so once your alt gets bogged down to the resting voltage of your batteries, everything is working together. you cant drain one battery faster than another. assuming they are all wired properly. now a cap just stores energy. so at 14.4v you would be using your alt and your cap. and that is where the benefit comes from.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

From some of the things i have read say caps serve to condition the 12v source and dampen the alt pulses, maybe i'm wrong but they do have a purpose just not what everyone thinks or believes the use is.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Caps are used in burp applications in usaci and other orgs because you are generally allowed to have unlimited amount. Look at Alan hall for example does 158+ in trunk class, he has two D5s and can hold 15.5 volts for around 30 seconds on a 12 volt system. But he has a bank of maxwell caps, 2700 farads each around 30 or more of them. Burp application is the only positive application I could see a person using them given the restrictions and class limitation for trunk. In some other mod classes I could see a benefit as well.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

ok so to all the people that came in here bashing the idea, one guy in particular, you can leave, if you have nothing good to post, then stay the fuck out, to the others thanks for the discussion :P

this was an idea, haven't tried it yet, only in my head, if caps were so useless in stabilizing voltage then I imagine they wouldn't be used in computers or any other devices, might as well have thousands of tiny batteries on a mother board, that sounds useful (sarcasticness), if you read my first post, I understand they are different, that's why I was curious about them, hooking several fast releasing caps in series that are low voltage would get to the voltage you want and it would allow for amazing burps with the energy that they batteries couldn't get it it right away, if you dont want to use them then dont post and stay out of here, this is for actual info and ideas that are positive...... thanks again :P

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

I wouldn't waste my time on using a capacitor on a 12volt battery system ... Hell, I wouldn't even use one of those to use as my boat anchor, might contaminate the water ...

could you give any specifics to this, im not trying to be that asshole but i hate when ppl come into a thread and say something when they have no scientific basis on their opinions

Simple ... I would rather have battery power (I have 5 batteries in my Sound Quality competition vehicle) than capacitors any day ... My batteries have lasted 4 years in competition without any signs of stress ... As far as I'm concerned, that is called tested results ...

I think its funny how closed minded you are, if that's how you operate then you wont get to far in life, I don't need some reply explaining how far you got in life either after this, I dont care

also if you read my first post, it is about having a fully upgraded system, such as yours already in place.... high end alt, high end batteries, cabling, the works, then adding very high end caps to the system, not some damn cap from walmart, we are looking at thousands of farads that release energy VERY quickly, and high quality ones too anyways...

caps can be used in any VOLT application, and are beneficial at any voltage, so idk why you automatically assume that because its 12v's that they are useless. in computers they have to be able to manage voltages down to the .0X volts even under heavy loads, such as my graphics card that can pull between 30-50 amps while its maxed out, yes 50 amps at 12'vs being pumped into a computer chip (and other voltages at other amp levels {5v line and so on....}, protecting myself from some snobby comment).

......and if the voltage sags you crash, I think if a system was designed right it could be very beneficial to it, depends on the persons uses of the system, but if you know what they hell you are doing it should work out right, as for others who dont, they just bash :P

I wouldn't waste my time on using a capacitor on a 12volt battery system ... Hell, I wouldn't even use one of those to use as my boat anchor, might contaminate the water ...

I have also TESTED alkaline energizer battereis for 5 years, they must be the best cause I use them with no problems..... I will never try there lithium line or any other brand cause I tested them in my competitions, and they worked, (sarcasticness...............) ill just come in and bash someones idea because I am closed minded and hate.....rise about hate

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

Archived