Sonic Electronix

you'll be WAY surprised with a proper ported box in your car. even with your current woofers. but not a box from best buy or walmart or frys electronics or wherever.

This.

A box for even 2 12s in a custom ported box tuned to 34hz(don't have to tune it to 34hz, but just to throw out a frequency) will sound loud on just 1k watts If you don't want to have a lot of power. To me, when I built a box for a pair of 12s with a 1600w amp, I really like how it sounded with Rockford fosgates p3s(coming from someone pushing a bit over 2 times the power with high end equipment).

How do the Japanese feel about bass?

You know that since 03/11/11

Progene? I just saw that stuff on CNN. They said it makes your junk shrink all up. lol.

im pretty sure the op wont even notice if it gets even smaller.

Refs - Pstone11, porksoda, coleman

if you want to have fun with tons of trial and error, you can use the Torres calculator that's in the enclosure section of the forum. it's a good skill to have for audio though once you grasp the way the calc works.

if you dont want to do all that, then you can just talk to ram designs or Ray or 412cvx or joe x or any of those people. they have varying levels of experience but they can all help you out.

if you want to have fun with tons of trial and error, you can use the Torres calculator that's in the enclosure section of the forum. it's a good skill to have for audio though once you grasp the way the calc works.

if you dont want to do all that, then you can just talk to ram designs or Ray or 412cvx or joe x or any of those people. they have varying levels of experience but they can all help you out.

Gotcha. Thanks all. :) I'll try Torres, and have some fun with box building. Anyone got any suggestions for good tuning frequencies? Just never did quite understand them.

That and how would I decide on the right box volume and dimensions? Or is that pretty much where the trial and error part comes in?

thats one of the things with trial and error. you need to measure how much usable space you have in your trunk/cargo area first. then you go from there, plugging in numbers into the calc.

you NEED to look at the Port Area Range and Port Area numbers on the lower right. the number in PA has to be within the two numbers in PAR. hitting f1 in the calc gives you a bunch of great instructions on how to use the calc itself.

tuning kinda depends on what you listen to. lots of slowed music will more than likely require a low tuning, something around 28-32hz. a "regular" tuning is like 35. but you have to remember that the lower you tune, the better the low notes will be, but the quieter the high notes will be. vice versa with tuning higher.

Alright, since my subs are recommended for 1.0ft each for a ported enclosure, I'll just do a 4ft box, or is there a better way to tell how big to make the box? Also, do the dimensions matter as long as it's the right size and it fits in my truck?

if manual says 1.0 per sub, then i'd go ahead and do that. although sometimes manuals don't give the best recommendations.

dimensions dont matter as long as you can fit the subs and port in it. for an suv i would do subs facing up and port facing back towards the hatch. add a little bracing from the baffle to the bottom of the box too. some .25 or .5" dowel rods in between each sub should work well at stopping box flex

alright, i mocked up a designs with torres, just wanted to know what you guys thought of the specs, plus im a little confused about how to get the tuning right with the length that i put in vs the physical length the calc tells me to use, and which one is the length ill actually be cutting. thanks all. 2prwvvr.png