Sundown Audio

Getting a More Poweful Amp than speakers can handle. question

adreano17

my philosophy is to get a amp that is more powerful than needed, but still properly setting gains. This will allow voltage drops and not straining the amp to do more than what it can handle with increased amprage pull. is this a good practice? or just get the amp that i actually need for it. i.e a 80RMS capable amp for a 80RMS speaker vs a 100RMS capable amp for a 80RMS speaker

IMAG0023-1-1-1.jpg

Pioneer AVH-p5700DVD | MB Quart Onyx ONX4.125 | 6.5 Alpine Type-S component & 6x9 3-way | Hifonics Brutus brz1700.1d | 2 - 12" Kicker L7 | Custom box tuned to 36 hz | 220A Mechman Alternator | 1/0 OFC Welding all the way back | Big 3 | 2 Farad Tsunami Cap | Deka 9a34 | 20% Tint | 6000K HIDs | Yellow Projector Fogs | Dual Out Magnaflow

I think that would work if say you had an amp that was 120 wrms at 1 ohm and 80 wrms at 2 ohms and you ran it at 2 ohms versus if you had an amp that was 80wrms at 1 ohm and ran it at that.

exactly

IMAG0023-1-1-1.jpg

Pioneer AVH-p5700DVD | MB Quart Onyx ONX4.125 | 6.5 Alpine Type-S component & 6x9 3-way | Hifonics Brutus brz1700.1d | 2 - 12" Kicker L7 | Custom box tuned to 36 hz | 220A Mechman Alternator | 1/0 OFC Welding all the way back | Big 3 | 2 Farad Tsunami Cap | Deka 9a34 | 20% Tint | 6000K HIDs | Yellow Projector Fogs | Dual Out Magnaflow

Going over RMS is fine, and it's the best way to go, as long as you do it right. A lot of SQ guys like having a lot of overhead power. Music is very transient, and if your musical peaks are well within the power capability of the amplifier, your music will sound cleaner.

What you need to do is set your gains with a DMM.

amplifiersettingchart.jpg

Step 1: Determine the RMS output of one channel of your amplifier and the rated RMS input of your speakers/subwoofers you will be using on that channel. Select the lower of the two for referencing the chart above.

Step 2: Match the impedance (ohms) you have on one channel of your amplifier to the column on the chart.

Step 3: Turn your amplifier gain all the way down.

Step 4: Disconnect all speakers/subwoofers from the amplifier

Step 5: Insert the leads of the multimeter in to the channel you are setting (if bridging an amplifier use the terminals you would be using)

Step 6: Set the multimeter to ac volts

Step 7: Turn on the head unit, zero out all EQ settings, turn off all filters (low pass/high pass), and make sure loudness is off.

Step 8: Insert the test tone cd

Step 9: Set the volume to 75%-80% of the maximum volume on your head unit.

Step 10: Start playing the appropriate test tone - recommended 50hz for subwoofers, 1000hz for mids/highs

Step 11: Slowly turn the gain until you obtain the voltage from the chart

Step 12: Turn off the head unit, unhook the multimeter, hook up your speakers/subwoofers, then readjust your filters/eq settings to your liking and you're done.

yeah i know it's copypasta, but so was the place I got it from.

This was in another post (thanks Kranny) but I couldn't find the thread. TONES

Edited by srp365

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Going over RMS is fine, and it's the best way to go, as long as you do it right. A lot of SQ guys like having a lot of overhead power. Music is very transient, and if your musical peaks are well within the power capability of the amplifier, your music will sound cleaner.

What you need to do is set your gains with a DMM.

amplifiersettingchart.jpg

Step 1: Determine the RMS output of one channel of your amplifier and the rated RMS input of your speakers/subwoofers you will be using on that channel. Select the lower of the two for referencing the chart above.

Step 2: Match the impedance (ohms) you have on one channel of your amplifier to the column on the chart.

Step 3: Turn your amplifier gain all the way down.

Step 4: Disconnect all speakers/subwoofers from the amplifier

Step 5: Insert the leads of the multimeter in to the channel you are setting (if bridging an amplifier use the terminals you would be using)

Step 6: Set the multimeter to ac volts

Step 7: Turn on the head unit, zero out all EQ settings, turn off all filters (low pass/high pass), and make sure loudness is off.

Step 8: Insert the test tone cd

Step 9: Set the volume to 75%-80% of the maximum volume on your head unit.

Step 10: Start playing the appropriate test tone - recommended 50hz for subwoofers, 1000hz for mids/highs

Step 11: Slowly turn the gain until you obtain the voltage from the chart

Step 12: Turn off the head unit, unhook the multimeter, hook up your speakers/subwoofers, then readjust your filters/eq settings to your liking and you're done.

yeah i know it's copypasta, but so was the place I got it from.

This was in another post (thanks Kranny) but I couldn't find the thread. TONES

hey its you again lol. how much you think over RMS is good?

IMAG0023-1-1-1.jpg

More power is god mode in both front stage and sub stage allowing you to play at much louder levels with little to no distortion but you can go to big and lose balance in a system and have way to much sub stage and not enough front stage. This is where you need to make a choice in how you decide to do a system, do you want an spl machine that throws down nice numbers, do you want a system that plays loud and clean or a system that is not quite an SQ machine but has sq qualities without going all in or a full blown sq machine with everything.

Each one has it's place and was pointed out already and it really comes down to money and how much your willing to spend to reach the desired goal.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Proportion is good. But it really doesn't have anything to do with this. If you set your gains like the chart shows, then you should be ok. Having more power than RMS isn't going to make it any louder than just having RMS, but it will make it sound a lot better when you're playing it loud.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

using a larger amp will not remove voltage drops. If anything it can make them worse.

that said more is better if done right.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

• 2 weeks later...