It had 20k on it so in Volvo terms not much wear at all. When I replaced that one I had it checked out and it checked out great. It put out on the meter 14.8 but in that freaking car it would go from 14.7-12. As did the brand new alt with no system in it. I really wonder if Volvo have some extra regulator in the car that keeps it too regulated if that makes since. Like I said before I pulled the wire harness out thinking there was a problem with the ground never found one. Volvo dealer wasn't much help either they just said that my car had safety back up for the charging system. I just left it at that after an hour at the dealer with no real answer.

It had 20k on it so in Volvo terms not much wear at all. When I replaced that one I had it checked out and it checked out great. It put out on the meter 14.8 but in that freaking car it would go from 14.7-12. As did the brand new alt with no system in it. I really wonder if Volvo have some extra regulator in the car that keeps it too regulated if that makes since. Like I said before I pulled the wire harness out thinking there was a problem with the ground never found one. Volvo dealer wasn't much help either they just said that my car had safety back up for the charging system. I just left it at that after an hour at the dealer with no real answer.

20k, that's almost new, I might as well swap out then

Mine goes 14.1, then drops to 13.8-13.9, but it's fine really

20k of use is much better than 213k of use, that's for sure

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Wow not much difference lol. Man this is crazy with your electrical. I know at night in my old Volvo it would read 14.5-.7 then lights heater on it would drop to 12.4-13.1 even the new one. That was the most annoying thing I ever fought with. Only to never figure it out. The real bad part it was I only changed the HU and speakers no amps. So I can imagine what you are thinking at this point :soapbox::snipersmilie:

I think I told you it was checked before shipping? Hope something gives for you man.

Wow not much difference lol. Man this is crazy with your electrical. I know at night in my old Volvo it would read 14.5-.7 then lights heater on it would drop to 12.4-13.1 even the new one. That was the most annoying thing I ever fought with. Only to never figure it out. The real bad part it was I only changed the HU and speakers no amps. So I can imagine what you are thinking at this point :soapbox::snipersmilie:

I think I told you it was checked before shipping? Hope something gives for you man.

It's probably the starter solenoid causing that, or the stock wires going bad cause I never drop into the 12's when using stuff in the car, only when I use my amp.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

I didn't check the starter solenoid but literally took out the entire wire harness out lol. It would drop to low 12's for a few minutes then come up and stay 12.9-13.2 which was just enough to keep it fully charged. I also wonder if the fans on my CPU's where a culprit now I think of it lol. Unless it needed more charge it would stay low 13's to upper 12's. In all in all I like your Volvo better then mine honestly. It has bass and less electronics than that one did :D

Hey man, things are looking good. I agree to talk with Snafu and see what he says on your power issues.

As far as the amp install, what do you need exactly to get it going? I may be able to throw you some stuff from my box of goodies from old builds. Let me know!

Hey man, things are looking good. I agree to talk with Snafu and see what he says on your power issues.

As far as the amp install, what do you need exactly to get it going? I may be able to throw you some stuff from my box of goodies from old builds. Let me know!

I'll ask him about the electrical issue, and see what he says since he seems to have great knowledge

For the AQ 120.4, just need to get some 4 gauge, rca's, and speaker wire for it. Also need to build a new amp rack for it, but I have spare mdf laying around for that. Though I want to make sure my electrical is in good order first before installing it really. May see how the alt swap does, and if nothing happens, I'll see if I can get a 2nd battery to help.

Thank you for your kind generous offer :)

Btw, I'm liking how your build is turning out, the tablet install is gonna look extremely cool

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

Thanks. I had a little setback last night as far as finishing, but I may be moving forward here very soon on it. I'm hoping to get the signal sources all wrapped up by the next week or so, and then I can get started on other things. My alt shipped today, and the new head unit shipped today, so things are moving. Just not in the order or as fast as I'd like them to.

How much 4ga etc do you need, give me a list so I can see if I can send you a care package!

Archived