Buying a New laptop tonight Need help choosing

Laptop  

9 members have voted

1. 1. which onee

• Lenovo T420
    • Lenovo Y470P
    • Dell XPS 15

I bought my Macbook Pro 15 for $1450 (as an open item, come to find out the one i bought didnt turn on, or the second one they gave me, so they gave me an upopened brand new mac...win)

Sold it on Ebay last night for $1550.

If you read my other thread you know what was up with it.

Anyways iv been talking to my buddy Noah (ngsm13) and he suggests the Lenovo thinkpad T420 (he bought one for himself). specs are solid not to mention they are sturdy and have a battery life between 6-10 hours with the 9cell batt.

I also like the Lenovo Y470P (This is what noahs brother bought) he says its a solid comp (i think looks a hell of a lot better too)

I found a deal online for a Dell XPS 15, quad i7 2.2ghz, 1080P LED 8gb ram, 1tb hd for $1000

with the Lenovos i would completely deck them out as long as i can stay under $1200.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

The reason for going back to PC is because i really dont like not having all my files from my old PC (most did not transfer to the mac) I really only do music, movies, and browse. I dont do video editing or any of that bs. Right now the T420 is top pick, bc of the durability and battery life.

Edit: Other factor that matter (in no particular order)

1. Display Dell wins

2. Audio from the actual laptop (sometimes the only option is to play music or movies is from the laptop)

3. looks (thinkpad def loses)

4. reliability

>>> Yes i know whatever i get it will prolly Fk up, lets clear the air now. Asshat :deadhorse:

Currently:

2015 Evo X WW

Forgestar F14 18s --Rally Armour Mudflaps

ETS 3.5" FMIC, CAI, Open Dump DownPipe, Test Pipe, Ultimate Racing Catback, BLEVINS TUNE, Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers

Build:

Crescendo Mezzos x2

Crescendo 800.4, 1500.1

Loaded Fi Q12

Second Skin Pro

XS D5100

RF 360.2

Sky High Audio Wiring

Need: ALTERNATOR!

PREVIOUS

1999 Grand Prix GTX

3.8L S/C-few modsWheels: Ruff Racing 280 19x8.5 Sub: Fully Loaded

12" Fi BTL Amps: Autotek MM3000.1d Sundown SAX-100.4HU/Tweets/mids:

Alpine D310 + H701, TBI HDSS tweets, Mpyr audio 65m x4extra sheit:

knukonceptz 0, 4, rcas, speaker wire EA 200amp alt HC 2400

TEAM DEADLY HERTZ!!

Financial Consultant- Charles Schwab

Wes I run a t420 at work with red hat on it and a windows 7 virtual. If the o e you are looking at has a seagatw 320 gig drive upgrade it I've had it fir less than two weeks and the drive is failing. Remember its a work machine. Its graphics wont stun you without upgrading . I've git lots of experience with lenovo stuff. I beat the shit out pf mine.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

The reason for going back to PC is because i really dont like not having all my files from my old PC (most did not transfer to the mac) I really only do music, movies, and browse. I dont do video editing or any of that bs. Right now the T420 is top pick, bc of the durability and battery life.

If that is your priority, then get the cheapest and with the most battery life among the three. :)

IwCCla0.png

1993 Toyota Corolla

:)

i voted for the Dell, but just looking briefly this laptop here looks promising good reviews good battery 9 hrs main con for it was it weighs 4 lbs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834158215&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Notebooks-_-Hewlett-Packard-_-34158215

RlYlm.png

Big Wheels Are Like G-Strings...Anyone can put them on but it don't mean they look good.....

Wes I run a t420 at work with red hat on it and a windows 7 virtual. If the o e you are looking at has a seagatw 320 gig drive upgrade it I've had it fir less than two weeks and the drive is failing. Remember its a work machine. Its graphics wont stun you without upgrading . I've git lots of experience with lenovo stuff. I beat the shit out pf mine.

i really dont do gaming so i dont think it would be too big of a deal, but i would like it to be a little more rounded like the xps and the y470. This is my predicament

Currently:

2015 Evo X WW

ETS 3.5" FMIC, CAI, Open Dump DownPipe, Test Pipe, Ultimate Racing Catback, BLEVINS TUNE, Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers

Build:

Crescendo Mezzos x2

Crescendo 800.4, 1500.1

Loaded Fi Q12

Second Skin Pro

XS D5100

RF 360.2

Sky High Audio Wiring

PREVIOUS

1999 Grand Prix GTX

TEAM DEADLY HERTZ!!

Quick question...how do i delete everything and put it back to 0? I need it as if its never been used.

Currently:

2015 Evo X WW

Build:

Crescendo Mezzos x2

Crescendo 800.4, 1500.1

Loaded Fi Q12

Second Skin Pro

XS D5100

RF 360.2

Sky High Audio Wiring

PREVIOUS

1999 Grand Prix GTX

TEAM DEADLY HERTZ!!

What are the full specs of that dell xps? I have a dell xps l1702x and that laptop kicks ass. It has a Nvidia GeForce 555GT video card with 3gb of video memory and i have 8gb of DDR3 ram on it with dual 500gb 7200rpm seagate drives (ehhh i hate seagates, im eventually going to get a faster drive that is western digital) and i have the 1080p LED lcd on it that i can crank up to 120Hz (you may do that too with the xps 15 but idk for sure) and the backlit keyboard and the JBL 2.1 speakers. The speakers are superb for a laptop. I believe its like 30w or something like that for power and they get loud and have so much bass on them that i can fill the entire call center floor where i work with my music at half volume lol. I also have the Intel i7 2670qm for the processor, bluray triple writer to burn/play dvd, cd, mp3 and blu-ray as well as the 3d option for my video card which playing a game in 3d is amazing OMG!!!

Give me the specs of that dell and ill tell you what i think. I love my dell xps but the video card was a pain in the butt for the drivers nvidia released because i always put my laptop into hibernate and wake it up for a week straight and everytime i wake it back up i have to close the screen after it loads the OS and open it back up to get it to display my login screen. Other than that it works flawlessly and i am very happy with it. Battery life sucks ass for a 9 cell but for all the crap i have with it im not complaining lol.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

dead ass buy a alienware m14x that what i have and i love it more then any laptop i ever had looks nice works great price is still good

My build

http://www.stevemead...20#entry2018495

Car: 2003 Cadillac DTS

(1) Hifonics Brutus BRZ2400.1

(1)Hifonics Zrx600.4

(1) 1000 watt crunch amp

(1)200 watt boss amp

(2) Pyramid TW46

(4) Infinity Kappa 60.9cs

(1) EV 10 inch

(2) XSpower 1200

(4) Pyramid TW18

box tuned at 32 Hz

(2) DC level 3

Bout to go out..ill post back later

Currently:

2015 Evo X WW

Build:

Crescendo Mezzos x2

Crescendo 800.4, 1500.1

Loaded Fi Q12

Second Skin Pro

XS D5100

RF 360.2

Sky High Audio Wiring

PREVIOUS

1999 Grand Prix GTX

TEAM DEADLY HERTZ!!

I'm a Dell/HP certified repair technician, and I will tell you I HATE dells. With a passion.

That being said if you're looking for a lot of battery life, and portable, I would go with something like the HP 2450. Battery lasts for about 6 hours and they have around 8gb of ram and use an LED display.

MSI makes good laptops for the money

IBM's are horrible

Toshibas are ok, but really hard to work on

If you want to go all out, Falcon Northwest makes great machines.

Archived