Second Skin Audio

Using Dowels to build box and where to start w/ putting together a box

I use a pneumatic nail gun to hold the boxes together while the glue dries. It's so much faster than predrilling and sinking a screw. The nails will also never split the wood.The holes are easier to cover than screws too. Plus I always split the MDF with screws. I have never had screws work out well with MDF.

i have taken to doing this on all my boxes BUT thats only because I have enough clamps to make it work. just butting two boards together with wood glue and shooting nails into it wont make a good bond at all. I clamp it all down then shoot nails in, then take the clamps off and move to the next section.

for the double baffle, lots of glue, yes. i used to use a ton of clamps and 2x4"s to hold everything down. now, I just stand on top of the box and shoot brad nails next to my feet until I am satisfied.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

well for those i was going to clamp them. i hace little claps so. . .. and another basic question. what do i do for puting the su in, should i use anything to seal it, and should i drill holes, what kinda scres. and such, , , it does have a rubbering thing one it so i think as ong as i cut the hole good enough and it fits in all the way it should seal.

Whether silicone is bad for the sub or not doesn't really matter. It is not nearly as strong as glue and if you make your cuts straight there is no need for the bead of silicone people like to slap on around all the seams. Just use glue and leave the silicone on the shelf. B)

And as far as using dowels goes, if you make all your cuts accurate and use glue and clamps there isn't even a need for the dowels.

I use a pneumatic nail gun to hold the boxes together while the glue dries. It's so much faster than predrilling and sinking a screw. The nails will also never split the wood.The holes are easier to cover than screws too. Plus I always split the MDF with screws. I have never had screws work out well with MDF.

yep a air nail gun makes life sooooooo much easier!!!

2003 VW Jetta Wagon AA Mayhem 15's Flatline BA2 2 XS D3100's in rear Shuriken BT80 under hood

Mike Singer 250A SHCA and KnuKonceptz wire Big 4+

AQ / Dayton pro mids+monsoon tweets

My Build : http://www.stevemead...35#entry1989435

i have taken to doing this on all my boxes BUT thats only because I have enough clamps to make it work. just butting two boards together with wood glue and shooting nails into it wont make a good bond at all. I clamp it all down then shoot nails in, then take the clamps off and move to the next section.

for the double baffle, lots of glue, yes. i used to use a ton of clamps and 2x4"s to hold everything down. now, I just stand on top of the box and shoot brad nails next to my feet until I am satisfied.

You're right. i should have mentioned that you NEED lots of clamps to do this since the nails don't have any clamping power. I have a couple massive pipe clamps and assorted quick clamps so it works for me.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

so i dont have any big clamps. how should i build it. start with the bottom, predril obv. abut just glue it and screw it?? and hopefully i do it right? haha

So did you read any of these replies? Without big clamps you are kind of limited to screwin n gluin right? now get to work

Edited by Bigsix

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO