Second Skin Audio

Shim Stuck After Recone HELP!

No offense OP but that manilla folder should have been shit canned the first time. Look how wrinkled up it is, you want to make it so that it is perfectly round and flat to fit inside the coil itself with a very minimal gap between where the two ends of the folder will meet together. Id say see if you can get a buddy to push or pull on the sub while you pull up on the folder and see if you can get it to budge. Also try to turn the folder back and forth as you pull it up. When i reconed my SMD i had 3 cut down pieces of a file folder i used as a shim and it was pretty tight but i could still move the sub a little if needed.

You could also try to have someone GENTLY rock the cone around while you pull upward on it. Other than that i wouldnt recommend to spray anything like WD-40, water, etc in to make the paper soft because if you do it will for sure break apart and you will be epically screwed.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

No offense OP but that manilla folder should have been shit canned the first time. Look how wrinkled up it is, you want to make it so that it is perfectly round and flat to fit inside the coil itself with a very minimal gap between where the two ends of the folder will meet together. Id say see if you can get a buddy to push or pull on the sub while you pull up on the folder and see if you can get it to budge. Also try to turn the folder back and forth as you pull it up. When i reconed my SMD i had 3 cut down pieces of a file folder i used as a shim and it was pretty tight but i could still move the sub a little if needed.

You could also try to have someone GENTLY rock the cone around while you pull upward on it. Other than that i wouldnt recommend to spray anything like WD-40, water, etc in to make the paper soft because if you do it will for sure break apart and you will be epically screwed.

Lol no that shim was stiff and sturdy its wrinkle because I got into a fight with it and as you can see it won the fight lol. I didn't re use my last shim. I will try that now so far nothing else has worked.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

What happens when you try to push down on the cone?

It goes up and down with a little force not too much but it will move when I push on it

Does the shim move with it?

No the shim stays where it is. I am going to have someone push down on the cone while I try and pull the shim up. If I can get it to budge it will give me some hope that I can get this out.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

Build Log

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

What im thinking may have happened is that there was some ca glue on the inside of the former. When my recone kit was sent to me there was a bit of glue on the inner area of the coil and former but i took some window cleaner and a paper towel and wiped it off. That glue was a bit tacky so i didnt want to have it adhere to my shim.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

id have someone fully extend the sub instead because with the futher out the cone and coil goes the more room there is

http://www.youtube.c...e1?feature=mheehttp://www.stevemead...87#entry1993187

JVC KD-R530 head unit

VVME INNO-D1500 sub amp

Kenwood KAC-8402 amplifierPioneer 2-way 6.5 X2 @ 4 ohms

DTI Audio 6.5 X2 @ 4 ohmsbox: 4.24 ft^3 tuned to 61 hertz (port walls fell off and dissapeared :( )

What im thinking may have happened is that there was some ca glue on the inside of the former. When my recone kit was sent to me there was a bit of glue on the inner area of the coil and former but i took some window cleaner and a paper towel and wiped it off. That glue was a bit tacky so i didnt want to have it adhere to my shim.

In the slim chance I can't get this out is there anyway to safely take the sub apart without destroying it. I really don't want to destroy it.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

Build Log

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

id have someone fully extend the sub instead because with the futher out the cone and coil goes the more room there is

Then I will try that as well going to push down see what happens then fully extend and see what happens

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

Build Log

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

What happens when you try to push down on the cone?

It goes up and down with a little force not too much but it will move when I push on it

Does the shim move with it?

No the shim stays where it is. I am going to have someone push down on the cone while I try and pull the shim up. If I can get it to budge it will give me some hope that I can get this out.

So its stuck to the pole piece somehow. How far down did you push the shim?

Have someone push the cone out while you wiggle the shim.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

I pushed the shim til it touched the bottombut it was free moving when I was gluing the spiders. Im not sure what went wrong

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

Build Log

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

Archived