Sonic Electronix

Kicker Burning Smell Leading To Ruined Sub

ok i got a alpine mrd-m605 (all digital contols) (600w RMS at 2ohm and my L5 kicker is dual 4 ohm ran down to 2ohm so they are like perfect match) and i have the gain at reasonable level i think it goes like .1 .2 .3 .4 .5 .7 1 and then up to like 8 or some thing like that ( i cant remember much havent used it in a while)

but i have it set at .5 should i set it more to like .7 or 1 and then it be able to go louder with out that happening

and sorry i kinda just intruded on this thread but thats the same problem i sort of got

I couldnt see you frying the amplifier there pretty tough the KX series a mean all kickers amplifiers are due to abuse every abuses them to the extreme i see people running the KX at 1 ohm are as stable as a 1 ohm should be.

I got a fried 1200.1 that was ran at 1 ohm daily with no clipping that powered two l7s....

L7 12 are 750 watt you should be ok, id turn it to about 5/6 the gain and dont take the boost over 3/4 and you should be ok with that.

and that is one of the most false statements Ive read all day.

Running the amp at 5/6 gain is almost max for one (which is bad unless your deck only has .5 volt preamp outputs).

Again you must adjust your gain differently when using the bass boost. Using bass boast with your amp will result in a lower gain setting versus not using bassboost.

You can have the same exact setup and only have 1 thing different (the headunit), if one headunit only puts out 2 volts on the preamp output, your gain will need to be signifficaly higher then a headunit that has 4 volt preamp outputs.

Archived