Wiring an Aftermarket Headunit, SOLVED (with a factory amp)

how do you wire up an aftermarket radio when your car has a stock amp.

The harness i bought that fits my car has 2 long colored wire, one is orange (illumination) and one is red (ignition). Why are these longer? And i have been hearing you cannot just plug and play with a stock amp.

there were 2 harness options for my car, and the one for my car with a factory amp, which i have, has these two long wires, rather than a plug and play harness.

Am i correct, or should it be plug and play?

Where do these 2 long wires go to?

Basically my question is do you have to bypass the factory amp and run wires to it?

Car is a saab 93 2008

for one get rid of the factory amp and get a good 4ch amp.

and posting pics helps alot

2009 bmw 5 series

Head Unit Stock

Amplifier-JL Audio JX 360/4

Processor- Audiocontrol LC6

I just "plugged and played" had the option of 2 different harnesses for my car, 1 for the car with the amp and the other for the car without. So no I did not have to bypass the amp. Also the amp most likely has a nonadjustable crossover in it so if you upgrade your door speakers they might sound funny.

Orange wire is so the lights on the HU will dim when you turn your headlights on. (So it doesn't glare in your face at night)

Red one is just the 12v ignition wire.

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

dont get me wrong some stock systems do sound good, but with all this technology after market is the way to go.

i nice amp,radio and a set of quality speakers and you will be very happy.

2009 bmw 5 series

Head Unit Stock

Amplifier-JL Audio JX 360/4

Processor- Audiocontrol LC6

dont get me wrong some stock systems do sound good, but with all this technology after market is the way to go.

i nice amp,radio and a set of quality speakers and you will be very happy.

I'm sure hes aware of this..

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

The reason they are longer is sometimes there isnt an accessory wire in the radio harness itself and you need to tap into a fuse or nearby circuit that IS an accessory switch and that is why the wire is so long so as to get near that line you need to tap into. The dimming cable i have never seen used, rarely to none will you see an aftermarket headunit with the capability to get dimmed by your stock dimming wire. My headunit i have now only dims when the ambient light sensor that is built into the headunit adjusts itself to the brightness it detects in the cabin.

For getting it to work on the stock amp you just need to hookup the harness to the stock harness and wire it correctly and you will be good to go. There really isnt much in the way for doing that.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Archived