Sonic Electronix

I just installed some Infinity Kappa 5x7 Components powered by my Kicker zx350.4, and after 1 day of having them installed, I noticed thhe smell of burnt voice coils throughout my car. Turns out, both of my tweeters are completely cooked and aren't producing any sound, but the mid woofers are completely fine and not distorted. I ran the tweeters and the mid woofer through the included crossovers, with my amp's gain set to zero, bass boost at 0, and the HPF set to 100hz. My headunit is a brand new Kenwood x896 that I just installed a few days prior. Anybody have any ideas on what could possibly be causing my tweeters to blow?

Edited by ShockStruck

Bad xover network on the tweets??

I figured that was probably it, I'm gonna warranty my speakers today. What should I do to prevent this from happening again when I get my replacement? I've heard of people using capacitors on the tweeters to protect them, what do you think of that idea?

Edited by ShockStruck

If the crossovers are good shouldn't need capacitors to protect them ... the crossover will have them

You didn't hear when they blew out? Is warranty gonna cover the whole set or just the tweeters?

Nope, they were working fine last night and today on my way to work they wereren't making any sound at all but I sure as hell could smell them, perhaps my amp sent out a weird signal upon powering on? The warrenty should replace the whole set, I got them through Amazon

You didn't hear when they blew out? Is warranty gonna cover the whole set or just the tweeters?

Nope, they were working fine last night and today on my way to work they wereren't making any sound at all but I sure as hell could smell them, perhaps my amp sent out a weird signal upon powering on? The warrenty should replace the whole set, I got them through Amazon

Interesting. I had a pair of 3-way 4x10s.. the tweeters had passive crossovers on them and after awhile, they ended up exploding. There was. Capacitor guts everywhere!

Interesting. I had a pair of 3-way 4x10s.. the tweeters had passive crossovers on them and after awhile, they ended up exploding. There was. Capacitor guts everywhere!

That's quite the experience haha, did you end up getting a replacement or did you just ditch them all together? Sounds to me like Infinity makes some low quality crossovers. I might just get a refund on these and get a differend brand. Do you have any suggestions on components I should get in place of my Infinity's? Preferably in the $150 price range

What did the specs say on the component set for maximum power ??

Did the specs say (Even with the passive corssover) what the minimum frequency response was for the tweeters ??

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch