Second Skin Audio

What's the point of removable ports?

I was reading the post that jeffrm did on removable ports I didn't want to thread jack.So I have a noob question about the point of this?I have only heard of this recently so I really don't get it.Wont the tunning it's set at wont work for all apps.Thanks for humoring me with this question.

You tune higher for SPL and Lower for Daily. So they make swappable ports one for each occasion

Say if you want to compete some and still be a low end monster, you make two ports 1 for comps and 1 for daily. Usually you would have a short port thats for comps and another longer one that goes in to lower the tuning.

03 tahoe z71

4 death penalty 18s

2 ampere audio 3800s @ .5 each

18v

156.7 @ 35hz

158.5 @ 50hz

You tune higher for SPL and Lower for Daily. So they make swappable ports one for each occasion

Say if you want to compete some and still be a low end monster, you make two ports 1 for comps and 1 for daily. Usually you would have a short port thats for comps and another longer one that goes in to lower the tuning.

Thanks guys.I haven't done a comp since 86 so I'm out of the loop so to speak.But seriously why would the spl tunning be so diff in comps verses daily.Sorry if this annoys the more seasoned guys I didn't know there was that much of a diff.That my box then was tuned to 40 for 4 12" power series fosgates where do they tune to now.

It's easier to get louder at a higher frequency.

Lots of people tune between 32-37

40 is a little high for some of today's music.

As you tune higher, the output peak above the tuning becomes higher. If you get the tuning and box size correct for the resonant frequency of the vehicle, you can gain a lot of dBzzzz!

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

My truck peaks at 46hz no matter what box ive done, so tuning around your resonant frequency can gain dbeeeez, but lower tuning( high 20s-mid 30s) usually is for daily, and moving ALOT of air.

03 tahoe z71

4 death penalty 18s

2 ampere audio 3800s @ .5 each

18v

156.7 @ 35hz

158.5 @ 50hz

Lots of the newer stuff is mid/low 30s. 40hz doesn't cut it for that ;)