Sonic Electronix

sub "break in" = no such thing

the more you play them full tilt the better, my mayhem sounded better after 2 months of playing them, actually they didnt play good until i started abusing them

What exactly do people who break their subs in hope to accomplish?

I wonder this too.

Unless the sub manufacturer says to go easy on the sub for a few hours, then it is good to go full tilt out of the box. That is assuming your amp is tuned right and the enclosure is properly suited for the sub.

Kicker Company recommonds to give the break-in time period (~2 weeks) for their subwoofers to reach maximum performance. I'll take their words for it since they're the creators of subwoofers. I'm not sure what the other companies (Sundown, FI, DD, DC, etc.) says about break-in period (check out the manuals if you have it).

I wonder this too.

Unless the sub manufacturer says to go easy on the sub for a few hours, then it is good to go full tilt out of the box. That is assuming your amp is tuned right and the enclosure is properly suited for the sub.

Kicker Company recommonds to give the break-in time period (~2 weeks) for their subwoofers to reach maximum performance. I'll take their words for it since they're the creators of subwoofers. I'm not sure what the other companies (Sundown, FI, DD, DC, etc.) says about break-in period (check out the manuals if you have it).

the only reason they say to break them in is because they wont give you the deep or low bass until you loosen up the spider, the more you baby them the longer it will take to have them play to the potential. i have never ever broken in a sub and i have owned 8 kickers in my life

I don think they want to accomplish anything, I think they want to make sure they dont damage their subwoofer.

subs wont get damaged if played full tilt, if they do then you are sending dirty(clipping) signal. which will kill any sub no matter how broken in you have them

I don think they want to accomplish anything, I think they want to make sure they dont damage their subwoofer.

so care to explain how breaking in a sub keeps it from being damaged?

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

so care to explain how breaking in a sub keeps it from being damaged?

I just look at it like any other moving mechanical part. If i just finished rebuilding my engine im not going right out to the racetrack and redline it.

but breaking in an engine actually causes a physical change to cylinder walls and piston rings. Breaking in a sub does what exactly that playing a sub doesn't do?

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived