Mechman Alternators

I have a 2003 ford focus se with the standard 4cyl 122cid sohc. I could not find an h/o alt for it so I got the 00-04 focus svt non svt engine alt. It went lil over a month of usage. So I contacted mechman and told them what happened. They said well thats the wrong alt. So sent me the 220a focus zetec h/o alt. I dont have a zetec but thought mechman knows what they are doing I wont question it. It went a week later. I called again and they wanted to walk me through on how to hook it up. And the way they said is the way it was. So now I am on my third alt. SOmething is wrong with this picture. Can I get a walk through just for when they send me another alt, I can make sure how I had it set up and how mechman told me was right? I have had a mechman h/o alt on my truck for years with out a problem. So, I know something is wrong. And im starting to think it has to be something with my car. But, I just rebuilt the engine. So, maybe the wire I am using. I have installed a bunch of h/o alts at my shop and none have had any problems. So, any help???

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Current system (still building) 2 kicker 12" dcvr in factory kicker ported box, Rockford Fosgate 1200.1 Amp, Kenwood ddx-470 ddin radio, Rockford Fosgate 0 Gauge wiring, Rockford Fosgate punch 6X8 2 way speakers.

take it to a mechanic or find a friend that knows how to swap an alt. Not saying you dont know how but if you have different hands on it then and it breaks then you know its the alt or install

04 dodge dakota ext cab 4x4

excessive amperage 300 amp alt with MONSTER stud =)sundown z v3 15 in a 4th order on aq2200sundown 100.4 2 way active...2 Prv audio 6mb200 & 2 re XXX tweetersdeka intimidatorkenwood x396big 3 1/0 knu wire back to deka intimidator

My dad who does it for a living and my racing partner also looked at it. But, I could have someone else look at it. I know a lot of mechanics.

Current system (still building) 2 kicker 12" dcvr in factory kicker ported box, Rockford Fosgate 1200.1 Amp, Kenwood ddx-470 ddin radio, Rockford Fosgate 0 Gauge wiring, Rockford Fosgate punch 6X8 2 way speakers.

do you have your big three done? Alt grounded as well?

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

1 alt. Had to buy another battery cause I had to sell mine when I was in the hospital beginning of the year. and a 0 gauge run. But, it is kicker wire. Mechman did say that it should be copper color copper wire. Kicker is copper wire aluminium color. Told that, that does not push the power through it like the copper wire...

You might not want to hear this, but put the stock alt back in and see if it fry's.

The stock alt has been on for 3 days. I ran the stock 110amp stock alt for almost 6 months before I got a mechman h/o alt. And I have 2 of the rockford fosgate power t1500-1bd. Continuous 1500 watts and so they say number 1 in amps and in energy efficient. I think when my new alt comes in I am going to do a complete system tear out and re-do. Or just put the alt in and test the alt in multiple different settings.

you totally didnt answer my question

Did you ground your alt casing? Did you do the big three.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

you totally didnt answer my question

Did you ground your alt casing? Did you do the big three.

Grounded to the frame. I think it was you that posted a diagram on someone elses page about alts. I used that to do mine. Just to make sure I did it right.

1. Alternator Charging Wire: Replace the positive charging wire that connects the vehicles alternator to the positive car battery post.
  2. Engine Ground: Replace the cable that connects the engine ground to the vehicle’s chassis.
  3. Battery Negative: Replace the cable that travels from the negative car battery post to the vehicles’s chassis
    This is part of that diagram.

Edited by basshead8569

Did you run ground from the alts negative stud directly to your battery negative? You should have. also its important to use the ring terminal supplied with the alt only on the post that it comes on for the best fit/contact of ring terminal to studs on alt. you shouldn't have had to replace wires simply add your 1/0 runs to the existing locations.

Does your alt come with a Adjustable voltage boost module? Is it supposed to be direct plug N play? Is your car PCM controlled or not?

VbjgkeI.jpg

c7HmdKx.jpg