Sonic Electronix

ok..i just tested my amp out using this method above...turned all of the gain down on the amp, turned to frequency all the way up on the amp...turned bass and treble to 0 on the headunit and opened up the frequency on the headunit for the bass to 180...set the subgain to 0 on the headunit....1200watt amp at 1ohm, set the volume to 28 (out of 35) repeated a 50hz track....and the only time i could get around 34-35v was when i had the sub gain on the headunit up to +9 to +10, even when the gain on the amp was maxed out. if i put the amp on the settings i burp too...which is 26-27on the volume and +10 to +11 i could also get my proper 34-35v....

does this sound correct? i would have thought that i could have obtained my desired voltage without turning up the sub gain on the headunit...

i messed with all of the headunit settings and amp settings as well as switching terminals on the amp that i had my leads in, and i still had to have the sub gain up on the head unit to reach my proper voltage....???

i likes me some audio stuff...

to get my desired output voltage, i had to adjust bass boost and a frequency knob. so i dno if it's SOLEY the gain knob. and since bass boost can also distort a signal, i assumed as long as you were getting the desired output voltage between the two, then that'd be the correct amount of power.

after setting gains with the chart... and messing with the EQ "last step" wouldn't that throw off the voltage ?

i had an old chart on my comp, and these directions came with it. i also thought the same thing. i might adjust the directions for this reason

EDIT: took out last step. once you get the voltage, should be self explanatory to turn off and unhook and wire the subs back in. also if there's still confusion...i think there's a sticky about tuning amps isnt there? go by that and use the voltages above. maybe i should take the lil directions out altogether?

• 7 months later...

a few people heard i had an RMS chart, showing what the voltage should be with a certain power at the given impedence and wanted me to e-mail it to them. well this one is updated. hopefully a little easier to read, and it goes to 5000 watts instead of 3000. i was gonna try to put this in my attachments under my profile the but file is too big so i'll just link the pic. hope some find this helpful.

Posted Image

try this link if you cannot see the picture:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l143/the...odirections.jpg

im confused i have 2 pzi.3000.1 strapped with a mxl-100, running at 2 ohms near 60 hz the peak voltage was 131.5 i know there is no way im pushing anything over 2800 watts is there another formula for running 2 amps??

American Bass*DC Power

you might have the gain/bass boost set too high. my amps strapped were reading 140 somethin @ 2 ohms. in which you'd wanna turn it back down. never used one of those hifonics modules, so i dno if they would affect the output. 6000 watts @ 2 ohms should read around 110 volts @ 2 ohms, and as far as i know, the crunch amps put out rated power. unless that's just the PZI amps

and your welcome sammy ;)

you might have the gain/bass boost set too high. my amps strapped were reading 140 somethin @ 2 ohms. in which you'd wanna turn it back down. never used one of those hifonics modules, so i dno if they would affect the output. 6000 watts @ 2 ohms should read around 110 volts @ 2 ohms, and as far as i know, the crunch amps are CEA compliant. unless that's just the PZI amps

and your welcome sammy ;)

ill give it another shot tomorrow,output is set to 9 volts and boost it a quarter open,they only have a hundred amps of fusing in each pzi so i guess 2800 watts combined for the pair,they must have turned cea compliant for the 08 stuff.anyways thanks for the feedback

American Bass*DC Power

how accurate is this chart? i believe it is incredibly accurate but my cousin says there is now way it can be. he still swears you should tune your amps by ear for the best performance. when i did that one of my amps was at 3/4 gain and the other was at maybe 1/2. once i used this chart it sounded 200000 times better

----reference's----

meade916

Archived