Second Skin Audio

Volume vs airflow

In a new build of myn I plan on having two 12's. I am planning on making the box big as possible to get max spl. But how much space do I need in between the box and the sides of the trunk so airflow isn't restricted. I always hear people saying don't seal off the trunk with the box. Well what would be the proper area to let the air flow around the box and out of the trunk? Would you go off of the port size or .....? The setup will be rear firing, and the MAX dimensions that the box can possibly be is H15" x W36" x D32". The subs going into the box are both going to handle 1200 watts, but if the box is too small then I'm just going to go with one 12. So the question is, how big can the box get before it cuts off the airflow from trunk.

Also, when reducing the box, where is the best place to reduce from, the height or width.

Thanks for any reply, there really isn't much information on this topic.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

fire subs forward and push box all the way to back of trunk if you dont want to seal off and then make a proper box for the 12s.

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

hmm.. never considered that option. I was so dead set on making the other option work. I had the layout for the amp and distro block pretty in mind where I wanted them. (the amp has a blue line across the top and the distro block has a volt meter on it), I was planning on mounting them on the back of the box so that they would be shown when only one seat would be laid down. (the one that let the air flow though) Now I am just baffled on where to put these. Anyways, will the be much audible difference between rear firing and front firing (pushed back against trunk).

Also, I'm guessing it's way to big of a b!tc# to seal of the trunk if I do go that route. Or is it not that hard to seal off the trunk?

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

personally i feel firing forward without sealing off trunk you lose some of the higher bass notes. not like lose completely but they arent as prominent. not like a lot but its fine really. You will be louder on meter (in most cases) with subs firing forward. And if both of your rear seats fold down, then fold them both down. the only time they should be up is if you ported through rear deck or if you have passengers in rear seats. audibly the forward firing is the way to go at least in my car. try both and see what you like better. your trunk will love you much more if you fire forward.

I personally have never sealed off a trunk. I will be sealing off in my next build. It doesnt seem too hard, just time consuming and make sur eyou seal absolutely everything. Maybe someone with experience can chime in.

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

In my experience facing toward the cabin pushed all the way back is louder..but if you don't really care about numbers its not going to be a ton quieter faced toward the trunk.. it will still get down just fine. So if you had a grand master plan for the looks of it just go ahead and do it that way. I mean you'll prolly change it up sooner or later. We all do lol. I say find a place to put all of the other stuff maybe toward the front of the trunk that way you can change the box around without any problems and either you'll still have that pretty LEDs to look at.

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

Lol Joe who knows... I once put a funky pup 10 in a 50 cube 132nd order bandpass and it slammed

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

Thanks for the input. When I first got into car audio I left my seats up. Once I put them down, and found out what I was missing out on, they stayed down. Unless I had to haul friends somewhere.

Along with time consuming, sealing off the trunk is normally sloppy looking, either from the trunk or the cab. (Unless one has uber amount of time on his hands) I don't think I would be able to make it clean as I would want it. Plus if it was removed there would be a mess :mellow:

More than likely I am just going to have to go with forward facing pushed back.

Larger box, more SPL....just like that??

Well since when was a smaller box with subwoofer A w/amplifier A, produced more SPL with a bigger box with subwoofer A w/amplifier A

Larger box, more SPL....just like that??

Well since when was a smaller box with subwoofer A w/amplifier A, produced more SPL with a bigger box with subwoofer A w/amplifier A

el 0 el....be careful with the word "spl" :ninja:

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 v6

2 sundown audio prototype nsv4 15s

crossfire 4k wired to 0.4 ohm

15 banks of maxwell 3.0 caps @ 18v

triple alts (x2 us alt 250's, x1 singer 320)

153 at 23hz