Second Skin Audio

Earthquake Enclosure

DefQon

Alright im upgrading from 2 kicker cvr 12's to a 15" earthquake DBXi-15D. Gonna be powered by a Earthquake 1000w mono amp to. I just have to build the box and im following the earthquake dimensions to build it.

Height 18"

Width 23"

Port length 2" by 9" deep

this is the manual for them here. on page 5 the middle one im thinking of building.

http://www.earthquakesound.com/IMAGEJP/CAR...dbxi_manual.pdf

Ive never built a box before. Will this be a simple design?

dont try nothin too tricky your first time out, keep it simple.. 3/4" mdf, port and sub firing foward or up, just on same plane.. and the most most most important thing to you, and any other box builder is...............

measure twice, cut once. :]

- Infiniti QX4 - - 2 Digital Designs 9917s - - Digital Designs Z1 - - Digital Designs C3b -

subnoise-1.jpg

It looked fairly easy to make. Its not an L port its just a straight piece of wood so hopefully i dont stuff up. Only confusing thing is im in australia and we measure in cm not inches. I went MDF shopping and the thickest was 16mm not sure if thats 3/4. Another confusing thing with the measurements is that it shows 18" by 23" for the front but then theres the port which says 2"x16.5x9" i got no idea what the 16.5 is. Does it matter if the ports a tiny bit smaller than it should be if i stuff up? Also should i start building bottom up like the base first then put one side on and the port and the other side and the top? And should the actual sub be placed right in the middle of the surface area or does it not matter?

Nah i couldnt find any measurements for the 2 cvr's so i just went down and got the earthquake sub it has measurements in the book for a couple of boxes. I found out my amp was only a a275hct not a 2150. and it hasnt got enough power to run the earthquake. Hopefully this new one will put out some good bass.

what order should i build the box though?

What extra materials should i use besides just mdf and screws?

Oh and also what does 2"x16.5"x9" mean? im used to cm i live in australia :P

Just FYI........

I run two 15 DBXi-D in about a 6 cube box (sorry don't know the conversion) and 4 4" precision flared ports full length. Its tuned down around 30 35 hz. If you built half the enclosure I'm sure you'll be happy with the resuts.

I ran Earthquake all last season. No serious issues with the woofers. The amps I've had some issues. I run a PHD10,000 for the pair and for Comp I do one per.

Archived