Second Skin Audio

12W7 Did not knock my socks off

Ive done 1 setup with a pair of w7 12 on 2400 rms and i must say it sounded as loud as the previous pair of kicker l7 15 in 3.5 cubes each 35hz tune 2400rms in that truck.

It absolutely killed the kickers on sq and kept up with them on spl.

That box you showed there is for sure the wrong box if you want these subs to get loud and the power you are running you can double that as well.

Also a lot more port area than that one you showed is needed as well as at the very least (like i ran) 2.5 cubes net each 12 w7. Even 3 cubes worked on them.

I think jl recommends small volume because they really dont want people sending them a lot of dead subs since these sell a whole lot.

1st Setup(SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 Audioque SDC2.5 15 subs8.7 cubes at 37hz build DONEAudioque 1200d (Audioque 1200d Sold, similar performance to my ap1500)Diamond Audio Hex 6.5 Mids n TweetsCerwin Vega Exl 400 4 channel Bridged(also have MTX 4004 not being used)1 Run of power Knu Fleks 4 Gauge2 Cheap stock Battery setup2nd Setup (SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 15 Kicker cvx (maybe two SA 15 in future)7 cubes net tuned at 34hzAlphasonik Old school 1600rms (ap 1500d sold GREAT Budget amp)JBL 6.5 Power Series Components, Infinity Kappa 6.5 3 ways, and 2 Kicker KS Tweets (LOUD)Cerwin vega exl4001 run knu Fleks OFC 0 gaugeBig 3 done1 Odyssey 1500, 1 optima yellow top d31

2.25 after with 35sqin

Tuned to 35

And put it in the trunk.

Then tell me it sucks...

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

2.25 after with 35sqin

Tuned to 35

And put it in the trunk.

Then tell me it sucks...

Exactly!

This will pound and in the future you could even go bigger and trust me they slam but sound excellent doing it. I wish they werent so damn expensive though or else i wouldnt mind running them.

Hey ray this question is only for you, can you name me a couple of other subs that have a similar sound to these jl w7 but wont cost as much?

1st Setup(SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 Audioque SDC2.5 15 subs8.7 cubes at 37hz build DONEAudioque 1200d (Audioque 1200d Sold, similar performance to my ap1500)Diamond Audio Hex 6.5 Mids n TweetsCerwin Vega Exl 400 4 channel Bridged(also have MTX 4004 not being used)1 Run of power Knu Fleks 4 Gauge2 Cheap stock Battery setup2nd Setup (SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 15 Kicker cvx (maybe two SA 15 in future)7 cubes net tuned at 34hzAlphasonik Old school 1600rms (ap 1500d sold GREAT Budget amp)JBL 6.5 Power Series Components, Infinity Kappa 6.5 3 ways, and 2 Kicker KS Tweets (LOUD)Cerwin vega exl4001 run knu Fleks OFC 0 gaugeBig 3 done1 Odyssey 1500, 1 optima yellow top d31

heres the amp output since it's a 3 ohm sub you can see where I got the 633 from

11111111111111111111111.jpg

what model is this?

(2007 Chevy Tahoe LT)

Mechman 320A

OEM AGM 

D'Amore Engineering HLC-2 Sig Converter

D'Amore Engineering E1500.1

Fi Audio Neo 3.5 12"

Hertz hx300d

About 20-30% less than a w712

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Okay guys, been busting my ass at work lately so havent had that much time to post. The 100+ heat brings out the best in people, let me tell ya! (thats sarcasm BTW)

Anyway, let me again state that all this "testing" right now is just an excercise in fun and to gather as much "unscientific" data as possible.

The velleman is the HPS 50, I use two Flukes: 73III and a 26III, For Sound I have a Coustic RTA-33 (not used in any tetsing yet) and radio shack 33-2055. round it off with the DD-1 and CC-1 and you have my 'specialty' tools.

1st thing I did was yank the Fosgate 250M and gave the set up MORE POWER! we went from the previously posted to thsi:

2-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

I did some output testing of the JL on the old set up here:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/146440-output-testing-of-one-jl12w7-in-car-video/page__fromsearch__1

the link will show a video along with data.

As you can seefrom the pic above I upped the power as someof you said, actualy more than dubbled it, from an estimated 633.45 on the Fosgate Power 250M monoblock at 3ohms to 1545 from the SS Ref 1000s bridged at 3ohms.

Here are my thoughts:

1) the JL took the power with no problem. Kinda like a hooker on prom night doing a double DP in the corn hole and the bearded clam by the football team, didnt even flinch.

2) The output was a bit louder, again not anything to make me say damn, this sub is well worth the $700+ it retails for, but none the less it was noticable louder.

3) Clarity. Yes it was clean BUT I swapped out this set up earlier last week and the new setup is just as clear, though not as loud and about 1/10 the price.

In the end I will be making another box as Ray speced out. For the record I never said the JL sucked BTW! LOL and will outline the new set up too in a different thread.

1 Kicker S15D

More to come on that and I will be posting a graph of the output difference in the next hout so keep on the look out for that comparing teh JL on the Rf amp and the SS amp!

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

The W7 is a good woofer (albeit overpriced) and i have heard them get loud in some nice installs. Sound good as well....have a nice roll off. That is all just IMO though

Hmmm, I wonder what changed your mind

this shits funny as hell

98 Isuzu Rodeo
Pioneer Deh-6300ub
SUBS
​*Upcoming* SSA Xcon 18 4th order
AMP
​Banda 3500
Mids/Highs
Pioneer
EQ
Clarion EQS746
ETC.
Two 1/0 run's
KnuKoncepts 1/0 big 3
Shuriken BT-100 under the hood
Shuriken BT-120 in the back

The box will make all the difference. I don't know why the manu's spec both a small box and an optimal box... Why would you want to put your star product in a suboptimal enclosure? Never liked the recommended box specs from anyone really. :shrug:

Oh, and TwistedChild sells JL now so he has to be nice LOL They're not bad but they're not the company they were in the 90s either.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

The box will make all the difference. I don't know why the manu's spec both a small box and an optimal box... Why would you want to put your star product in a suboptimal enclosure? Never liked the recommended box specs from anyone really. :shrug:

Oh, and TwistedChild sells JL now so he has to be nice LOL They're not bad but they're not the company they were in the 90s either.

They are a very good company. Well see where all these other brands are after so long. Ive had 2 8w7's in my lightning since 03, never had 1 issue with them.

Archived