Second Skin Audio

12W7 Did not knock my socks off

Think the 12w7 doesn't sound that great. It's very mellow sub with alot of soft bumping. Personally I like my aubwoofers to hit. The alpine type x is a much better woofer and hits cleaner and harder. The SA-12's are just KILLER tho, can't wait to get the Zv3's in

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

it is a 3 ohm sub and you need at least 1000 watt amp at 3 ohms to power it right to "knock your socks off" it can handle that amount of power all day every day and theb ox is huge it was designed around JL's High Output red eye box which makes it sound incredible with the right wattage around it. yes they cost alot but to me its worth it for what i like.....car audio is all about personal preference...others might think differently...but that subs with more watts and the right box is stupid loud to be a 12" driver. but i dont have much to compare it too because i havent heard some of these other drivers (SA..DC...Skar...etc) but try and better box wih alot of support and more watts and see if the sound cahnges any

4 JL10W3

8 JLC2 6"

8 JLC2 6.50" components

1000 Watt JLJ2 classD amp 1 ohm

700.5 JL XD amp

^You should get out more, just sayin.

Think the 12w7 doesn't sound that great. It's very mellow sub with alot of soft bumping. Personally I like my aubwoofers to hit. The alpine type x is a much better woofer and hits cleaner and harder. The SA-12's are just KILLER tho, can't wait to get the Zv3's in

I'm a little surprised about the Type X sounding cleaner than the JL, though, I'd take louder as an acceptable answer. What box did you have the Type X in, where in the car was it and how much powah did you have on it?

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

it is a 3 ohm sub and you need at least 1000 watt amp at 3 ohms to power it right to "knock your socks off" it can handle that amount of power all day every day and theb ox is huge it was designed around JL's High Output red eye box which makes it sound incredible with the right wattage around it. yes they cost alot but to me its worth it for what i like.....car audio is all about personal preference...others might think differently...but that subs with more watts and the right box is stupid loud to be a 12" driver. but i dont have much to compare it too because i havent heard some of these other drivers (SA..DC...Skar...etc) but try and better box wih alot of support and more watts and see if the sound cahnges any

You remind me of CVlover except instead of loving just only Cerwin Vega, you only love JL Audio lol

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

The W7 is a good woofer (albeit overpriced) and i have heard them get loud in some nice installs. Sound good as well....have a nice roll off. That is all just IMO though

Hmmm, I wonder what changed your mind

Thanks for starting my day off with a good laugh :P

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

Its really all about the box with W7's (like many subs). One thing I have noticed though is many W7 installs are for "looks" and this makes many people think they cant get loud. If they are put in the proper box they can get loud and sound very good doing so.

The 13W7 that I bough used was in a small homemade sealed box. It was in the 130's on the Term-Lab when I got it on 1 JL 1000.1 but after building a dual slot port 5 cube box and putting a Orion 2500D @ 0.75 ohms on it, I got it in the 145-146 db range on the TL.

They need a big box though, anything under 3 cubes is too small IMO.

2012 North American Street Stock Runner-up - 150.9 on 1800 clamped watts (Teammate)
2013 dB Drag Street Trunk World Champion - 153.9 on 3200 clamped Watts (Teammate)
2013 MECA Trunk 1 World Champion - 152.8 Headrest (Teammate)
2013 MECA Park & Pound 2 World Champion - 130.6 (Teammate)

Checkout our build and videos !! : ) 150+ Trunk Build Log itsgordy1 youtube channel (click for Hairtricks)

Smith's Custom Seats
Martinsburg, PA

(Second Skin Dealer)

^You should get out more, just sayin.

I'm a little surprised about the Type X sounding cleaner than the JL, though, I'd take louder as an acceptable answer. What box did you have the Type X in, where in the car was it and how much powah did you have on it?

Box was made to alpines specs tuned to 35hz in a scion tC running of a skar 1500. It did a 139 on the dash tuned with DD-1 at 0db

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

apples to apples.

Put the JL in the trunk. Then slap together the box Ray said and try it in the trunk. You're not giving cabin gain a chance with it sitting in place of the passenger seat.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Archived