Why are the PWX 6.5's so cheap?

Names_jeff

I had a chance to use both the 4ohm and 8 ohm over the past week.

Quality wise, I was very impressed with the build of them. Nice fit and finish to them. Build wise, the push terms are one of the most annoying items I have ever dealt with in a speaker. They actually sit out further then the cutout for the basket. If you mount them in a baffle deeper then 1/2' you will have clearance issues with them/ Would of been nice to see them parallel with the basket and not sticking out as they are. Being the tabs are mounted on a case frame, you are fucked to move them. I ended up making a set with direct leads to solve our install issue.

Sound wise, they are a typical PA mid. They have very little impact under 250hz and started to fall quite a bit about 5k. It seams to be difficult to find any PA driver to give a solid performance under 280hz. I found them to be better crossed at 315 to 5k. Like most PA drivers, you will need to cut the 1k-1.8k hard to take the screech out of them. The Seleniums I use are no different. Slope wise, the harder I cut them, the more they sounded like computer speakers. If I kept them closer to a 6 - 12db slope, they did very well. 30db was all bad.

Overall I think they more then do the job for what people are looking for them to do. Get super loud cheaply. I think paired with a solid tweeter crossed over around 4k they can make most people happy in the price range they are in.

Bill

This is a good review..thanks for better insight.

What tweeter do you recommend pairing with one of these (i have the selenium mid)? Do the tweets HAVE to get amped or can they run off the headunit?

1st Setup(SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 Audioque SDC2.5 15 subs8.7 cubes at 37hz build DONEAudioque 1200d (Audioque 1200d Sold, similar performance to my ap1500)Diamond Audio Hex 6.5 Mids n TweetsCerwin Vega Exl 400 4 channel Bridged(also have MTX 4004 not being used)1 Run of power Knu Fleks 4 Gauge2 Cheap stock Battery setup2nd Setup (SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 15 Kicker cvx (maybe two SA 15 in future)7 cubes net tuned at 34hzAlphasonik Old school 1600rms (ap 1500d sold GREAT Budget amp)JBL 6.5 Power Series Components, Infinity Kappa 6.5 3 ways, and 2 Kicker KS Tweets (LOUD)Cerwin vega exl4001 run knu Fleks OFC 0 gaugeBig 3 done1 Odyssey 1500, 1 optima yellow top d31

What tweeter do you recommend pairing with one of these (i have the selenium mid)? Do the tweets HAVE to get amped or can they run off the headunit?

Selenium made a kick ass tweeter. 1tw1. Sadly I don't think they make them anymore as I haven't been able to find them anywhere. They are good with a 2.5k crossover. You can get them to play lower, but watch the power going to them. I cross mine over at 4k on a 30db slope on the korean made amps and now at a 6db slope on the tube amp It sucks they are no longer because the cymbal reproduction was perfect without being harsh in the rest of the range.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Quality wise, I was very impressed with the build of them. Nice fit and finish to them. Build wise, the push terms are one of the most annoying items I have ever dealt with in a speaker. They actually sit out further then the cutout for the basket. If you mount them in a baffle deeper then 1/2' you will have clearance issues with them/ Would of been nice to see them parallel with the basket and not sticking out as they are. Being the tabs are mounted on a case frame, you are fucked to move them. I ended up making a set with direct leads to solve our install issue.

Sound wise, they are a typical PA mid. They have very little impact under 250hz and started to fall quite a bit about 5k. It seams to be difficult to find any PA driver to give a solid performance under 280hz. I found them to be better crossed at 315 to 5k. Like most PA drivers, you will need to cut the 1k-1.8k hard to take the screech out of them. The Seleniums I use are no different. Slope wise, the harder I cut them, the more they sounded like computer speakers. If I kept them closer to a 6 - 12db slope, they did very well. 30db was all bad.

Overall I think they more then do the job for what people are looking for them to do. Get super loud cheaply. I think paired with a solid tweeter crossed over around 4k they can make most people happy in the price range they are in.

Bill

I really couldn't have said it any better myself! That push terminal gave me problems too! but i just angled it in and everything was ok.. Great review.

2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Build coming soon!

2000 Volvo s40 1.9T
Pioneer DVD navigation head unit
O2 audio performance mid range speakers
2 Crescendo PWX-6 Pro Mid Range Speakers
2 Crescendo PWX-8 Pro Mid Range Speakers
4 Selenium ST200 Super Tweeters
Hifonics ZRX2000.4 Amplifier
2- 12 inch DC Audio Level 4 m2
Hifonics Brutus BXI-1610D Amplifier

2 KinetiK HC1400R- Secondary Batteries
Kinetik HC600- Secondary Battery
Knukonceptz 1/0 gauge big 3 upgrade

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So I just ordered a pair of these that are going to be replacing some ancient Boston Acoustics Pro series 5.5" i had. Question is will I be cool to run them off the same cross over with the tweeters, 110w rms @ 4 ohms? These will be in the doors.

How will these compare to some 6.5" Infinity Perfects? In the rear sound bar. I also picked up one of the PWX 10's to be powered with 360w rms @ 4 ohms. What's the break in period for this stuff before I can push em?

So I just ordered a pair of these that are going to be replacing some ancient Boston Acoustics Pro series 5.5" i had. Question is will I be cool to run them off the same cross over with the tweeters, 110w rms @ 4 ohms? These will be in the doors.

How will these compare to some 6.5" Infinity Perfects? In the rear sound bar. I also picked up one of the PWX 10's to be powered with 360w rms @ 4 ohms. What's the break in period for this stuff before I can push em?

Someone must have some input?? I'd really like to hear from kingsuv.

I have 4 6.5's on 125rms a piece and they get pretty dayum loud! And they are warm sounding but a little harsh if not crossed properly. I have my at 80hz and 3.15k and they sound damn good.

1999 GMC Yukon, 6 PSI platform 5 18's, 4th order bandpass by BHE, Taramps,

I have 4 6.5's on 125rms a piece and they get pretty dayum loud! And they are warm sounding but a little harsh if not crossed properly. I have my at 80hz and 3.15k and they sound damn good.

This is what about I will have. I will have 6.5" Infinity Perfect in the rear and PWX 6.5" mids W/ Boston Pro series Cross overs and Tweets. With a PWX 10 in a cubby hole box. I have a Infinity Reference amp that puts 110 w rms x 4 and a JBL GTI w/360 w rms going to the 10, all at 4 ohms.

Should I be fine running the Boston crossovers an Tweets w/the PWX mids?

You say......

Bill

And I found the frequency respons spec. 60-22kHz w/90dB sensitivity Will the cross overs work with the PWX 6.5"'s I have coming?

Archived