Mechman Alternators

Mechman 270A low idle voltage/slippage

When I'm at idle, my charging light comes on, and my voltmeter reads around 11.2/8 (the engine sounds like it is about to repeatedly stall out). But when I am over 1500, it goes away and starts charging at 13.7. Me and Matt were guessing it was slipping somewhere- so I went and got a gatorback serpentine belt. Thought it would fix it, but to no avail. All the pullys look like they are spinning at the same speed. The overdrive pulley looks fast as well. My thing is what could it be? And if it is slipping, where? What can I do to fix? pleas help. i'm beyond frustrated....

IMAG0023-1-1-1.jpg

Pioneer AVH-p5700DVD | MB Quart Onyx ONX4.125 | 6.5 Alpine Type-S component & 6x9 3-way | Hifonics Brutus brz1700.1d | 2 - 12" Kicker L7 | Custom box tuned to 36 hz | 220A Mechman Alternator | 1/0 OFC Welding all the way back | Big 3 | 2 Farad Tsunami Cap | Deka 9a34 | 20% Tint | 6000K HIDs | Yellow Projector Fogs | Dual Out Magnaflow

X2 same with my singer but i believe mine is low idle. Mine slips for a split second when it cranks to start

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee LaredoPioneer AVH- 3200DVD2/0 Flex-A-Prene Welding Cable

(2) Fully Loaded Fi Sp4's dual 1-------> My YouTube Channel <-------

Needs more power those woofers will laugh at that turd

My 425a mechman alt did the same thing, i knew it wouldnt make much output at idle but.. It made nothing at idle haha

New alts on the other hand make power at idle

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

X2 same with my singer but i believe mine is low idle. Mine slips for a split second when it cranks to start

mine slips as well..

sometimes Loud is NOT pretty

Sounds like its safe to go ahead and bend that ass over.

Any time you modify an alternator to make more amperage, it requires more hp to turn.

This additional mechanical energy has to be transmitted through the belt. The additional strain on the belt may cause the belt to slip or make noise. Also, depending on the strength of the vehicles engine, and how strong the alternator is at idle, a high output alternator may bog the engine down below normal idle speed, causing low voltage, or a rough engine idle quality.

This will be the case with ANY high output alternator on certain applications. You will here the same reports from customers of Singer, DC power, etc...

Well I got the gatorback, and still No help, I can't have it charging that low. Do I need more grip or What??

IMAG0023-1-1-1.jpg

Pioneer AVH-p5700DVD | MB Quart Onyx ONX4.125 | 6.5 Alpine Type-S component & 6x9 3-way | Hifonics Brutus brz1700.1d | 2 - 12" Kicker L7 | Custom box tuned to 36 hz | 220A Mechman Alternator | 1/0 OFC Welding all the way back | Big 3 | 2 Farad Tsunami Cap | Deka 9a34 | 20% Tint | 6000K HIDs | Yellow Projector Fogs | Dual Out Magnaflow

Does it read that low with no load? Like lights and system off?

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

No load at all. That's the thing.

IMAG0023-1-1-1.jpg

No load at all. That's the thing.

Post exactly what your idle speed is, the size of your alternator pulley, and the size of your crank pulley. Use a tape measure or something. Your idle might be too low for the alternator to even turn on or produce an effective amount of current.

Also: Do you have a clamp meter?

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

I have the same problem with my alt. What is your rpms at idle? What he said ^^^

Edited by Mario928
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

Build Under Construction

Head Unit = Kenwood DDX514

Amps = Kicker 750.1, Going to install Sundown 1500D v3 and Sundown 125.4

Battery = XS D3400

Wires = Kicker RCA's, 0 Gauge street wire and Stinger

Mids and Highs = Stock

Sub= Kicker L7 12"

Alternator = 220 Mechman

Sound Deadner= Fatmat and Stinger Road Kill