Second Skin Audio

Level 4 18 coil smell?

Just got a new Level 4 18 D2. and a new american bass HD 3500. when i play full tilt, after a minute or so i can smel the coil. . .amp and HU are tuned with DD1. Box is tuned to 32hz and is 6 net cubes. basic l port. . . the wires for sub are cheap 16 gauge (dont get hot though) and 8 gauge came in today. . . stock everything except for big three. . .

voltage sits around low 13's on full tilt and some notes will even go down to 12.8 . . . someone said that its cuz im tuning amp without speaker hooked up and when my voltage drops its dirty singnal. . does this sound correct? if so i thought with the dd1 when voltage drops amps would still be clean, less power? or does it in fact turn dirty on low voltage?

You know for a fact it's the coil?

i guess not no. i do not know for a fact its the coil. but i figured it was, i smelled the wire and couldnt really smell anything, smelled amp, nothing. but the dust cap to the sub gets hot thats why i thought it was the coil. old sub did it to, (skar vvx 15, diff amp but still DD1)

what track are you using to tune your DD-1

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

What do you have it wired to?

Edit after lookin up the amp I guess unless you have it wired really low it doesn't matter.

Edited by austin2162

2001 GMC Yukon XL

-2 DC Audio lv4 m1 18's (one now blown)

-Hifionics 2000D

-Pioneer AVH-4300DVD

-Knukoncepts 1/0

-Shitty yellow top, shitty marine battery, and stock battery.

-Stock alt

-12 ft3 box

Future

-2 dc subs (undecied yet)

-Some good batterys

-H/O alt.

track 1 to find head unit white is a Kenwood KDC352u (i belive) thats 40hz at 0db (just to confirm) deck doesnt clip on EQ all at 0. so then i turn bass to -8 mid to -4 and treble is at 0.

i go to my amps, turn my gain knob (not bass boost) to half and use track 5 40hz at -10db i believe. . . and usually i back it down a hair, so its more than -5db but not quite -10. . sub isnt hooked up when i do so and voltage sits around 13.45 when i do it

wire down to one ohm. .

3500w RMS isn't a small amount to run to a single level 4. Probably just a little too much power, turn down your gain a hair. And don't play full tilt 24/7

its and american bass HD 3500. . 1600rms at 1ohm not 3500. so even so in perfect world its getting 200rms more (prob more like getting 1300-1400rms clean)

Just because you did all your equipment with a DD-1 or O-scope doesnt mean you cant clip. You could have shitty quality music or music thats clipped. Just a thought. But i know if I played pandora on low quality you could hear the distortion and my sa-12 dustcap would get warmer than normal.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

wire down to one ohm. .

3500w RMS isn't a small amount to run to a single level 4. Probably just a little too much power, turn down your gain a hair. And don't play full tilt 24/7

its and american bass HD 3500. . 1600rms at 1ohm not 3500. so even so in perfect world its getting 200rms more (prob more like getting 1300-1400rms clean)

My bad, I guess I should do my research. Try tuning with a 0 db test track, Doesn't hurt to have a little headroom before clipping.