Portable hard drive instead of flash drive?

Why dont you buy one from walmart and if it dosnt work just return it.

I could...but the one I was considering is only $55 and if it doesn't work out for the intended purpose I could still make use of it.

what kind of HU are you running? I have a pioneer and a couple externals laying around that I could test out

Alpine CDA-117

probobly would end up being slow if it did work, i highly doubt something that high of a capacity would work though.

Why do you think the capacity would be an issue? I was kinda concerned about the speed thing too but the early iPods were hard drive based, as was my Zune and I never had an issue playing either one of those on my system.

I took my 320g external hard drive to a geek teck friend of mine and had him to partition 3 sections on the drive to FAT32 and leave the rest NFTS (I think that is what its called) 120 something gigs left ...

Works great on my Kenwood DNX9980HD unit ... but has not worked on any other head unit I tried ...

hope this helps some ...

Now we're talking! This drive, if it works with my deck, will be for music only so I can partition the whole thing in FAT32.

im interested to know if mine works or not now. Im gonna check when i get home. i have a pioneer so no help to you, but ill let you know

Yeah man, let me know. Just make sure it's formatted in FAT32, that seems to be necessary according to the posts here.

It's very common for media devices to read only FAT32, my 160 gb ipod is in FAT32 as well, and being harddrive based, it actually load all my songs very quickly on my Kenwood DNX 7100.

I hope the same works for me cause I just bought the drive :)

I have a Pioneer p4000dvd and a seagate freeagent 250gb. They worked flawlessly out of the box for about a year and a half, then the seagate started to die slowly.

one problem I read about was that portable hard drives with disc can get damaged if they take too much vibration (ie: YOUR BASS), so I think that's what happened. Either that, or my deck stopped powering it correctly.

It is true that the decks only recognize fat32, but there are more than a few programs online that you can download to make the hard drive fat32 format with the entire capactiy available. I don't remember the names, but I've used googled, found, lost, and re-found the programs a dozen times.

Either way, YES, they work....and mines was working 2 years ago, daily, with over 30 gbs of music on it. The head units are only restricted by how many folders they can load. Some have a folder structure limit or a file limit. The easiest way to find out is to take your portable hard drive to a car audio store that has the deck you want and simply connect it.

Nice! I just have a little system, a single 12, so hopefully it won't vibrate too much. This will be sick if it works out. I have been getting rid of songs I don't like that much on my iPod to make room for the new one's I want to put on it and now I won't have to anymore. Shouldn't have to worry about music storage for a loooooooong time.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

worry about vibrations messing up the HD install it on some rubber spacers to dampen the vibrations as much as possible.

formerly known as Blue86f150

its a 4th order just because its tuned in the 40z doesnt mean it wont reach down and jiggle your balls at sub 30 hz frequencies.

Regardless if they were dipped platinum and were stuffed in Beyonce's twat.....way too fucking exspensive

this sux camel dicks

from my experience with larger flashdrives on my buddies headunit it would take forever to read the drive when he passed over the 8 gig mark and the audio would skip alot, granted it was a cheap dp video unit. and ive also noticed with my dual i used to have it would have issues reading the flash drive depending which one i used, now my alpine reads the drives quick and doesnt have any issue with any that i use, so it may be dependent on what unit you use

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

worry about vibrations messing up the HD install it on some rubber spacers to dampen the vibrations as much as possible.

Do you think this would be even better than spacers?

d2-adaptor.jpg

The pad shown above is 9.5" x 13" and can be cut down between the cells, which are about 1x1, roughly. The outer material is rubber, like on an inner tube, and inside each cell is air. I can get this from my job if it would be a better option than spacers. What ya think?

from my experience with larger flashdrives on my buddies headunit it would take forever to read the drive when he passed over the 8 gig mark and the audio would skip alot, granted it was a cheap dp video unit. and ive also noticed with my dual i used to have it would have issues reading the flash drive depending which one i used, now my alpine reads the drives quick and doesnt have any issue with any that i use, so it may be dependent on what unit you use

Ah, Dual....I wouldn't use them as the measuring stick.

a flash drive and a portable hard disc drive aren't the same thing, just for those getting them confused. ipods, thumb drives, etc... those are all solid state drives (aka flash drives). I had over 8,000 tracks easily and it took about 4-5 seconds to load. It loaded mp3s with ease, but it did have some trouble with AAC encoded tracks, wma, basically anything other than a mp3, but thats on a old head unit. no tracks ever skipped, it just powered off sometimes because I think the usb port on the HU was going bad or something.

If you could possibly get a powered portable hard drive, then hard wire it your cars power with a switch or relay of some kind, I think that would be your best bet for longevity.

Learning Everyday.

Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD

Alpine SPS-610C

BXI-2008D

(2) SWR-1242D / Ported

First, never thought of using a hd as a music drive. I'm slow sometimes haha.

Second, I'd think that the pad would work. I mean it's basically bubble wrap. Could always make some sort of enclosure with that and literally have a spot for your HD so it'd essentially be "bubble wrapped".

Only concern I'd have if it all worked, would be the heat. We all know computers and not sure where you live but go to a store, go to work, go wherever and leave the hd in the vehicle? I'm sure you'd take it out if you weren't 100% sure that wouldn't get broken into or that it'd survive the heat, but just that one time you forget... With it being summer, think the HD could possibly overheat. Especially if you did an enclosure and no airflow to it.

There's my 2 cents.

Sheena = pedobear

a flash drive and a portable hard disc drive aren't the same thing, just for those getting them confused. ipods, thumb drives, etc... those are all solid state drives (aka flash drives). I had over 8,000 tracks easily and it took about 4-5 seconds to load. It loaded mp3s with ease, but it did have some trouble with AAC encoded tracks, wma, basically anything other than a mp3, but thats on a old head unit. no tracks ever skipped, it just powered off sometimes because I think the usb port on the HU was going bad or something.

If you could possibly get a powered portable hard drive, then hard wire it your cars power with a switch or relay of some kind, I think that would be your best bet for longevity.

I'm not 100% sure about the newer one's, but the iPod classics used to have hard drives. I'm looking for an excuse to upgrade to Pioneer's App Radio 2 so longevity isn't high on my list. I just want it to work so I don't have to worry about how much space I have available.

This is the drive i'm getting

81WENJGkzUL._AA1500_.jpg

First, never thought of using a hd as a music drive. I'm slow sometimes haha.

Second, I'd think that the pad would work. I mean it's basically bubble wrap. Could always make some sort of enclosure with that and literally have a spot for your HD so it'd essentially be "bubble wrapped".

I only considered it based on how small they're getting and how affordable too. $400 for a 64gb iPT or $55 for a 320gb hd the size of a smartphone...hmm???

• 2 weeks later...

is this a ssd drive? if not the constant vibrations will kill it. use a flash drive and so much cheaper.

Hah, a 320gb hard drive for $55? I wish! If you can find me a flash drive thats 320gb and is cheaper than $55, I'll buy us both one!

Archived