Second Skin Audio

Smelling coil? driving me nuts!

Hello, Well I'm a having a little problem with my btl 15(s) I have 2 N2 15's in a ported enclosure tuned to 33hz on 2 Crescendo BC3500's.

Everytime I start to beat on them one woofer gets a warm dust cap (NOT HOT). I wait untill it cools down and then When I go to play again I can smell what i think is burning coil. :S Also the one that gets warm moves a good bit more than the other on the same power. The amp on the woofer that gets warm also gets warmer than the other amp... This is not a new issue but I don't want to blow a n2 because of something preventable. I'm afraid to crank it up for any legnth of time.

INFO

I set my amps with a DD-1 at -5db. I never play over my distored volume on my HU. I also matched the amps output with a DMM. They are the same. And the coils read fine. Could it me by box? I'm "baffled"

Is the one that gets hot closer to the port entrance? Could be unloading since you said it moves more than the other.

90 Nissan 240sx

Avic z-140bh

Audison SR4

Audison Voce 6.5s

CDT es-20 tweeters

Sundown 1500v3

(2) DD 9510's

3 cube box 2 6" aeros

XS Power D2400 & Xp950

Skyhigh/Knukonceptz/Rockford Fosgate wiring

More Coming Soon.. Check my builds below.

97 Civic Hatch Build

86 Caprice Build

you can pick up a chick in a car... I think it'd be hard to roll up mackin on a broad sittin on a sundown. My opinion

Is the one that gets hot closer to the port entrance? Could be unloading since you said it moves more than the other.

No its a center port.

I almost feel as the one that gets warm is moving normally (besides getting warm) and the other is not moving near as much as it should be on 3500 watts. Only thing I can think is the wedge in the back of the port seems off a little bit. Could that do it? Its a slightly smaller gap on the less moving woofer side than the warm one. I just hate the thought of rebuilding the damn wall

Edited by Amart88

Have you "poped" the subs with a 12 volt batt?

Sounds like one might be out of phase

I beat mine up with 2 dc 5ks clamping 3.5k to each

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

Have you "poped" the subs with a 12 volt batt?

Sounds like one might be out of phase

I beat mine up with 2 dc 5ks clamping 3.5k to each

No I haven't. Do you do each coil seperatley? I am sure they are in phase though as I checked before a few times. Theres A big loss when they are out.

Box is about 3.8-4 cubes for each woofer

Edited by Amart88

Check each coil of each sub individually to make sure the coils are the right impedence.

If thats good, check and double check your amp to subwoofer wiring.

If the subs are the same and on the same power, one shouldn't be acting different from the other.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Depending on how many leads u have, id just take all my + and alll my - make sure they both show a good solid stroke

How much port?

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

Seems to me that you have a wiring problem. Like stang said, check and double check your amp to sub connections.

98 Isuzu Rodeo
Pioneer Deh-6300ub
SUBS
​*Upcoming* SSA Xcon 18 4th order
AMP
​Banda 3500
Mids/Highs
Pioneer
EQ
Clarion EQS746
ETC.
Two 1/0 run's
KnuKoncepts 1/0 big 3
Shuriken BT-100 under the hood
Shuriken BT-120 in the back

A little update on this, I just went out and checked all my impedences for my woofers and all the coils are reading 1.4 so thats off the list. Also the amp that gets warm goes to the woofer that moves less. next i'm going to swap amps and see if the problem persists. I will let you know what I find out. They are not out of phase at all there is just a huge noticable difference in movement. If the problem still happens to the other woofer when I swap amps, what would be the next step?

Edited by Amart88