Looking to upgrade video card....

Started having some issues with my gpu recently... Randomly lock-ups, reboots, and BSODS.... tried everything under the sun software wise... Tried cleaning, adding more cooling, different slots to no avail...

Current PC:

Intel i7- 3930K

16GB ram

Intel 160GB ssd

Nvidia GTX 285

I think it's been about 3yrs since I had the card and think it's time to upgrade...

Haven't been in the market for a long time and see soooo many changes.... I need a 1 card solution.... Preferably more than 1GB memory... Brand doesn't matter... Nvidia or ATI.... What should I look into? What are you guys using? Some help would be great... Budget is EXTREME top end being $525......

Thanks for any help....

- Sho

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

I'd go with the Geforce family. Could get a 620 for $60 tops. Can get a 670 for around $350. Overall, pretty good cards. I'd recommend a 690 but that's over a grand haha and basically is 2 cards in 1. But as long as it fits, I'd go with a Geforce by nvidia. I'd say what I have but not on my desktop so I forget.

Sheena = pedobear

I'd go with the Geforce family. Could get a 620 for $60 tops. Can get a 670 for around $350. Overall, pretty good cards. I'd recommend a 690 but that's over a grand haha and basically is 2 cards in 1. But as long as it fits, I'd go with a Geforce by nvidia. I'd say what I have but not on my desktop so I forget.

So here is my issues right now with just taking a blanket GREEN recommendation .... Currently they are experiencing more hardware issues on the 670 than the 79xx series are but the RED guys still have driver support issues...

I know it won't be perfect and I've had issues with different hardware in the many years I've been working with computers... But I'm ready to shell out the cash and I don't want to be too disappointed ...

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

AMD card XFX Radeon 7970 3gb overclocked $469.99

Nvidia card EVGA Geforce 670 Superclocked+ 4gb $459.99

or if you want to go right up to your budget get this EVGA Geforce 680 Superclocked+ 2gb $524.99

just remember that you need to have a good enough power supply to run these cards. so you might have to upgrade that as well

The 285 is pretty power hungry, so I dont think power on the new 6xx series will be an issue. That 285 will kill a 620 in benchmarks, seeing as how the 285 series is 512bit. Youd need at least a 480 to beat your current card, unless you're running higher than HD resolutions.

The 285 is pretty power hungry, so I dont think power on the new 6xx series will be an issue. That 285 will kill a 620 in benchmarks, seeing as how the 285 series is 512bit. Youd need at least a 480 to beat your current card, unless you're running higher than HD resolutions.

Well yea I'm looking to do 5xx or greater..... AMD 79xx series... So I have enough power for it....

• 2 weeks later...

I have an ATI 6950 and It runs perfectly, everything on full with AA at 8x or more, if you get a 7970 it should be absolutely perfect in everyway shape and form.

I also think any 6 series nVidia would suit just fine, but i would prefer the 7970, from what i read most people say the 7970 does a little better???? not sure if thats right, because i know that the GTX tends to outperform by a few % on the more popular games, but Crysis 1&2 ATI takes the cake, and a few other games. And despite that fact that a 670 can come with a 4gb, compared to the ATI 2 or 3GB, and depending on what your doing 2GB should always be enough. But i mean..............its your money either way i think you would be happy

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127672

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500267

i like to go with the X70 cards from Zotac AMP! edition just because they binned my 470 SO WELL.. i can easily and hold a stable 300mhz+ overclock on the CORE.

with water cooling i bet this bitch would be beast.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

Archived